Re: New Arlo App Chat with Alex Jukl, Senior Product Manager this Tuesday 9/24 at 11 a.m. PST
Love it, best invention in years, I have a few suggestions; 1 have the cameras charged by solar. 2. put sirens in the cameras; one siren to scare intruders or unwanted guests away and one even super sonic that hurts their ears or dog barking to chase or scare deer away so they are not eating my garden or flowers.
@tomashe Glad to hear you're happy with your Arlo cameras! Our Pro, Pro 2, Ultra and now the new Pro 3 cameras all have Solar Power solutions through our Solar Panel accessories. You can find these here: Arlo Accessories
The latest wire-free cameras, Ultra and the brand new Pro 3 both have sirens in the camera. Take a look here for comparisons on these latest models: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/default.aspx#section-outdoor-indoor
The original cameras (HD) have a hidden power jack by the latch under the door. Pull out the rubber grommet and buy a $15-20 adapter on Amazon with a 26' cord. Works fine.
We have Arlo Smart Premier subscription.
For all those people complaining about still getting download reminders after downloading the new app and/or double push notifications, did you remove the old app after downloading the new one?. On Android at least the new download was a completely new app, not an update to the old app so to solve both problems noted above all I had to do was to uninstall the old app (now called Arlo Legacy in Android).
I am new to Arlo and never saw the old app but I wish that I could set a time frame for how long to record after motion activation. I keep getting three or more videos of the same activity because the movement stops and then starts again. It would be great if I could tell it to record for 30 seconds after motion activation.
This isn't related to the current version per se, but to the over all Arlo system.
1. It feels like the Arlo product design and software development groups operate very independently without high level architectural oversight to ensure the entire Arlo ecosystem interoperates well. This seems like a big miss for Arlo in terms of offering product variety with complementary capabilities all operating seamlessly under one user interface.
2. Arlo design appears to also miss the boat as it pertains to multi-location installations. As an Arlo customer, I should be able to log into my account on a browser or mobile app and have control over systems that are recognized as being located in physically different places...buildings and rooms are the most obvious physical "containers" in this regard. The data model for the system needs these built-in from the ground up and the various user interfaces and business logic should layer on top of that data model that correctly reflects real life situations.
3. A surveillance system like this should NEVER have updates pushed out without customer consent. Arlo has no possible way to know a customers personal life circumstances nor our current ability to interact physically with our systems to correct a problem that was thrust upon us by an unsolicited update that so often brings unintended consequences along with it. There are many stories from customers who were hundreds or thousands of miles away from their systems when an unsolicited update crippled the system.
4. Speaking of updates, I would personally find it very helpful to have a running update log that shows the time and date of every software and firmware update for every component of the system. I should be able to see when various versions were installed and the entire version history when I interrogate the settings.
I am sure I have more thoughts, but this is good for now.
Hi @AncientGeek , good to chat with you again! 🙂
Let me do my best to respond to as many of your questions as I can here :
In terms of multiple locations, groupings, etc - this is something we're aware of and have been working on. Your feedback here validates some of our own observations and thoughts. When we're able to share more, we will!
Re: updates without consent - when there is a non-critical update, users have the option to select "Later" to apply. However, when we deem that a critical update is needed (particularly the case of security updates), the decision is made to have the update pushed to their devices without requiring user intervention.
Also, for a list of updates for a particular user's system - this is something we are thinking about as well. Today, we have a running list of release notes for all products (https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes) but we hear you loud and clear about update messages that are specific to the user.
Thanks for your continued participation and feedback in the Arlo Community!
If you ask Google Home to turn on a group of Arlo lights, Arlo fails.
What about streaming the cameras to Google Hub or Chromecast? I takes about 3 mins to load, blurry feed and fails 1/2 the time.
Everything I own works seamless with Google Home, even cheap stuff from overseas.. yet my thousands of $ with Arlo is struggling the most.
Will the change from Netgear to Arlo as an independent organization mean that the Arlo feature request forum will actually get proper attention? Requests for enhancements have languished there for years with no response from the company. Why offer a place for enhancement requests and then not act on them (even if to say, this is not part of our strategy) ?
For RED image: I have the same issue on an HD model. At night i also see only some of the IR LEDs lit. The camera is damaged in regards to the night vision always on and the lack of adequate lighting at night.
HW Version VMB4000r3
Three Arlo Pro 2 cameras, one Arlo HD camera, one Arlo doorbell
Windows 10 Pro, iOS 12, will be upgrading to 13.1 and iPadOS
The new iOS app is much faster loading than the previous app. The faster speed is appreciated.
1. We have two Arlo Pro 2 cameras directed at the street from our porch which is about 60 feet from the street. The cameras pick up some vehicles, but not others. Is the distance between the cameras and the street a possible reason why some vehicles aren't detected? The conditions are daylight, sunny day, about 70 to 80 degrees. What factors would prevent one vehicle from being detected while another one would be detected?
2. We have one Arlo Pro 2 camera that is connected to continuous streaming. Often, the video on the iOS app is cut short, maybe about 5 to 7 seconds long, while the vehicle passing by is taking longer than that time to do so. Then when I check the timeline for that camera, there is blank space indicating that the camera didn't pick up anything after the short video even though we are paying for continuous streaming. In fact, there are often segments of time, sometimes lasting for 10 minutes or longer, where there are no images in the streaming timeline. Is this a camera issue, a server issue, a base issue, or an issue with the iOS app? This Arlo Pro 2 camera with streaming is pointed perpendicular to the street.
Thanks for your help!
Hey all! Wow you guys have a bunch of questions - this is great, and I'm excited to hit as many of these as I can!
To keep things more orderly, @JamesC has temporarily extended me the ability to edit your posts and type my responses right below your original questions. (I promise that your original content will not be modified in any way!)
Ok - let's get cracking! Feel free to add more Qs as we go, and I'll get to as many as possible! 🙂
All I could find was 3 dots for more options and all asked for me to subscribe, none for un subscribe. I did click on your email and an option to unsubscribe was availble, not sure if I'll get any emails about updates or improvements now, but it stopped the problem for this session, THANKS SO MUCH! It was non-stop.
Now that you've joined with Google, I have privacy concerns since Google isn't exactly the safest platform. What guarantees do I have from you that my security footage will be safe?
Thanks for the consideration!
Arlo Mobile App
Arlo Pro 2
Arlo Pro 3
Arlo Web and Mobile Apps
Before You Buy
Firmware Release Notes
IFTTT (If This Then That)
Installation & Upgrade
Online and Mobile Apps
Service and Storage
Software & Apps