Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
AJKlmnop
Tutor
Tutor

Following recent updates I can't load my Netgear M1 as a device in the Arlo app. It was possible to do this using earlier versions of the Arlo app but since the Arlo/Netgear separation support for the Netgear mobile router/base station would appear to have ended.

Can anyone confirm this or is their a work around to achieve compatibility between my Netgear M1(which still includes the Arlo base station feature) and my Arlo Pro camera/Arlo Android app?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The big issue that has always been a problem when trying to integrate Arlo with a router of any sort (I had an R7000 which was the first to be tested) is the need for more frequent updates for the Arlo side than for the router firmware itself. Because there's no way to separate the individual firmwares, you have what you have and it ain't gonna get better. Not even sure why they did this for the M1 given the previous failures.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AJKlmnop
Tutor
Tutor
AJKlmnop
Tutor
Tutor
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The big issue that has always been a problem when trying to integrate Arlo with a router of any sort (I had an R7000 which was the first to be tested) is the need for more frequent updates for the Arlo side than for the router firmware itself. Because there's no way to separate the individual firmwares, you have what you have and it ain't gonna get better. Not even sure why they did this for the M1 given the previous failures.

AJKlmnop
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for replying and confirming my worst suspicion. I have searched tirelessly to find a solution but so far without success. It's such a shame that the split between the two companies doesn't appear to have been sufficiently amicable for continued involvement to support each other with firmware upgrades. 

When both my camera and router and respective apps were compatible and functioning with each other they satisfied my every expectation, except for the odd minor functionality fail I was extremely happy with my purchase outlay but it now appears that I have a very expensive rechargeable white paperweight and a router akin to a surviving siamese twin. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can buy a base station and connect cameras to that. If the M1 doesn't have an Ethernet port, use a WiFi extender for the base.

AJKlmnop
Tutor
Tutor

Yes I could buy a base station to relay through to the M1 if I were using in my house. However my setup was in my work van and the only power source that I needed was a USB for the Netgear M1 and every 2 or 3 months I would recharge the Arlo camera. This setup worked really well for me but if I start using a base station then not only I am going to need to securely locate/conceal it but I'll also need to find a power source for it and tbh I haven't yet checked to see if the base units can be powered with 12v direct or if I'm going to need a transformer.

My M1 and Arlo camera were hassle free installation for me and to continue with a similar setup I am certain I will purchase a rechargeable Ring camera and subscribe to their online recording service.