Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 In Conversation
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

As some of you may have noticed, our Arlo Pro camera's now have a new function that allows them to record until "activity stops". This is apparently new and is an option to the old 120 second max setting.

My question is, does this new function have a grace period of a certain about of time before it acually stops recording? For example, if some walks up my drive way and just stands next to my car, does the camera also stop or does it continue to record for a few seconds until this person moves again. It would be nice if Arlo had a little more info on this new option.

Even with a slight video delay, I can see this missing important video clips.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is investigating this issue. This feature is still under development at this time and users should select a predefined length for recording until this feature is officially released. We will be removing this feature until it is ready for release.

JamesC

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ek2016
Tutor
Tutor

I too have discovered the new setting feature today and I was quite happy to see it.  I did some testing with it and I'm finding for me it's not functioning as I would expect it to.  Here's what I'm finding;

• I paced back and forth in front of my driveway camera for over 2 mins and it only recorded 45 sec...
  • I walked out in front of my driveway camera and then quickly out of range and it recorded 45 sec even though I was long gone...
  • I stepped out of my front door and then 10 sec back inside and it recorded 45 sec...

It seems to record 45 seconds for everything which was too short in the first case and too long in the second two cases.  I haven't tried what your asking, but I will continue to monitor it and see what results I get.  So far not too happy with it though it was something I hoped they would add.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Interesting, I'll have to play around with it also I guess. I like the idea of it assuming it works. At this point I've spent so much time on my driveway trying to get these camera setting just right that I think my neighbors are starting to wonder what I'm doing all the time.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I hope this comes to the Arlo too!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've occasionally found that power cycling the base helps clear certain issues.

Rich794
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cant find this setting, can anyone point me to it

Thank you

lostchild
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is under

Mode Tab

Armed >

Camera Edit

Record Video >

Deanomite
Apprentice
Apprentice

New feature definitely not working correctly. 

I set it to until motion stops.

Paced around for 3-4 minutes in front of the camera. Here are my results.

four 20-25 second clips. One from each minute. Missing quite a bit there between clips. 

Going to go back to 30 second manual records, seems to be quicker that way at least. 

Screenshot_20161217-222110.png

ek2016
Tutor
Tutor

So I've experimented for a couple days now and I'm getting mixed results, all of which are not acceptable for my use.  Sometimes it records too short and missing continuing motion, sometimes it records longer but again misses motion that continues. I have yet to have it record past 45 sec even when the motion continues for over 2 mins.  That seems to be the biggest issue.

I love the idea of this ability, but it needs some serious fine tuning.  Please Arlo take note of what we're experiencing.  I'm going back to set record times until a new update is released.

oducks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine are stuck at 9 seconds, no matter how long the motion lasts.  There were a couple times it went to 5 minutes, even though there was no motion. I just set these up last night so I dont have good experiance, pretty on the fence with returning these and going a differant route. 

oducks
Aspirant
Aspirant

this is not working at all for me. it just uses the same settings it had before. When I had 10 seconds and switched it continued making every video 9 seconds. I move it back to fixed time and 120 seconds that worked, then back until motion stops, and now all the videos continue to be 120 seconds. I rebooted to the gatway to try again, if no go then I will reboot the camera. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is investigating this issue. This feature is still under development at this time and users should select a predefined length for recording until this feature is officially released. We will be removing this feature until it is ready for release.

JamesC

starfall
Guide
Guide

Please add this feature to 1st gen Arlo. It is necessary to make the camera useful.