Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro - Motion Siren with Pets?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
mtar925
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. I am thinking of buying one of these systems. I have no experience with wi-fi cams and after reading reviews and talking to a person at Fry's, I still have a couple of questions about whether this will work for us.

We have two housecats and I want a camera that will let me check in on them and interact via audio while away. Also see how the pet sitter we've hired interacts with them when we're not around. I'm wondering if I can combine the more hard-core security features with this montioring function, without a lot of false sirens and notifications. Specifically, can I set the motion sensor to record when the cats enter the area, but only set off the siren when a person opens the door or comes through a window? What about the pet sitter? If she agrees to come at certain hours, can I disable the siren at those times and still get the break-in protection for maybe 22 hours/day? Or is there a different way to set up the system so it does what I want?

Any advice or recommendation would be appreciated!

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't differentiate between cats and people other than by changing the sensitivity of the motion detection.  That would need to be set in separate modes and then scheduled, if that would work for you.

As for your second question, use of multiple modes set in the schedule should work for you.  One mode would have rules that don't include the siren while a second mode would have the sirens enabled.  You would add those modes to the schedule at the appropriate times so it switches automatically.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't differentiate between cats and people other than by changing the sensitivity of the motion detection.  That would need to be set in separate modes and then scheduled, if that would work for you.

As for your second question, use of multiple modes set in the schedule should work for you.  One mode would have rules that don't include the siren while a second mode would have the sirens enabled.  You would add those modes to the schedule at the appropriate times so it switches automatically.

mtar925
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Since the cats move around the house at all hours, I guess the only way to make the siren security feature work for us would be to aim the Arlo cameras high enough so that the cats won't be in the frame. With their wide fields they'll be looking at a lot of ceiling. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Or place them closer to points of entry so the FOV is limited by distance.