Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
jhu8
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just got my new Arlo Pro and was looking at the mounting contraption. I understand the magnet setup. But the the magnet part is supposed to hold onto the outside of my house with just one screw. Literally like a picture frame inside my house. This seems insane to me. How in the world will this hold through all the elements that take place outside. Main concern being the wind. Any comments on this? Is this how the previous version worked? Just afraid to hang it, it fall, than be out $250 due to a terrible mounting mechanism.
10 REPLIES 10
Zandex
Guide
Guide

I installed mine outside using both the regular three screw mount + tripod, and the magnetic mount. Since you're talking about the magnetic mount, then let me give you my feedback. Two of my outside cameras have been mounted using the magnetic mount and they are holding up just well. The camera does stick to it. Just make sure that the screw is all the way into the wall and then place the mount securely on it. I did place mine very high to the point where I actually had to use a ladder to mount it.The thought here is to prevent something from tampering with them.

jhu8
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for your input. The magnet seems pretty strong. It's just the one screw holding all that up that worries me. Wish it was a more secure method of attaching it to the actual house. What part of the house is yours attached to? I have a brick front house but a decorative wood part that goes around my whole front door. Guessing I'll just screw into that instead of trying to drill into brick.

Yeah I'm going to hang it as high as possible. Just get my ladder an hang it up high. Likely that way anyone that sees it, they're not going to have any way to get it on their own.
Zandex
Guide
Guide

Mine is attached to the wooded portion of the property. Basically, the frame of the house which is just wood. The trick to hanging this mount is make sure that almost all of the screw is inside the wall/wood prior to hanging mount. You just need a small portion of the screw remaining for the attachment to be really secure.

Hemicon
Guide
Guide
Jhu8, the magnetic mount (1/2 sphere) isn't meant for outdoor use. That and the fact that many (including myself) are reporting that the cameras lose their position after you set them up. You might want to look at the other mount that came in the box. I had to buy 3 additional tripod mounts to remedy the weak magnetic mounts.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a plus for the half ball mount outside... After I was sure of a good location, I used a screw ( with a big head ) and also some 3m molding tape ( auto parts store). Added a small section above and below screw hole....once set, it will stay just fine in all weather.

Worked even on hard asbestos type shingles (drill small hole for screw first so not to crack )

As to falling, some use a smal tether ( fishing line ) from the mount to the threaded 1/4-20 mount hole on camera ( simple short bolt )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And to further the conversation, I've been unconcerned with exactly how it mounted.  i just made sure I had to use a bit of force to the the mount to slide down into place.  They're been there for over 1.5 years, through wind, rain, snow, etc. They haven't moved (other than the slippage of the Pro cameras which was "fixed" by using a small piece of balloon) which has been verified by watching videos over time. The only time they moved was with battery changes.

I understand the concern but I can assure you that wind (other than a hurricane or tornado which would likely have an object thrown at the camera and mount rather than the wind itself) ain't the problem.

SteveHale
Guide
Guide

I tried the magnetic mount indoors, and after leaving it overnight, the camera started to look downwards.

I think the camera is too heavy or i'm not attaching the camera correctly on the half ball mount. Smiley Frustrated

Outside, i used the 3-screw mount.  I am concerned with it's lack of security for mounting outdoors and having the camera in a cage does not really look right.

-Steve.

Ducktaper
Star
Star

Here's one way to beef-up the half-ball mount for outdoor use (in my case, in a tree), but would work on and surface a lag bolt could be used.

At Home Depot in the hardware section, where all those little bags of bolts are hanging, are these "hanger bolts". The one's I used are 2" long, with one half being 1/4-20 bolt thread and the other half being lag bolt (wood screw) thread...

20161112_173225.jpg

Double-nut the threaded half, drill a pilot hole in your mounting surface (tree), and wrench it in so the 1/4-20 half is sticking out.

Back to the mount... I epoxied a flanged 1/4-20 nut

20161112_173253.jpg

to a 1.5" fender washer. Once that is set-up, epoxy the washer to the half-ball to get this:

1479002961501-863367753.jpg

Now, put some light threadlocker (or nail polish) on the thread sticking out of the tree and screw this baby on. Spray a little paint to match the surroundings, slap on the camera, go have a beer.

Ducktaper
Star
Star

One more thing to add regarding the 1/4-20 mod...if you want the ball mount to screw up totally flush to the surface, drill out ball mount hole a little larger and then epoxy the washer/nut the other way, with the nut inside the mount.

xtcnafive0
Guide
Guide
I have had two cameras mounted on the 1/2 sphere magnets for over a year, one is mounted on a tree and the other under a roof eve and not once have they fallen or moved position being in the weather elements 24/7.
I found this thread because I was researching brick mounting.
I just purchased a third camera which is the Arlo Pro and plan to mount it with a magnet somewhere in my backyard.

No problems whatsoever with the magnet mounts being outdoors and continue to use them as such.