Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
ChadFreedle_77
Follower
Follower

i would liketo be able to set my arlo pro wireless camera to stay on live all the time also how can i make the cameras picture smaller so i can see them all on one screen? I do not understand why it keeps timing out ?

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't say what platform your using (browser,ios, android ) but it sounds like the Pro is working fine.

By design the Pro times out at about 30 mins ( at least it use to ) of live view. This was done to prevent someone leaving it on and draining batteries.

You can't change this...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
mikezekoff
Initiate
Initiate

my arlo started session timed out pleas log in. I have to log in maybe 20 times a day.  I installed an arlo system for my friend and he is now getting same message on his phone.  So it is not my end but arlo's end.  I am not getting answers from them so I am looking to another company.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mikezekoff,

Engineering is aware of this issue and hopes to have a fix available very soon. We apologize for any inconvenience caused, I will provide an update as soon as I have more information on the fix.

JamesC

artfudd
Initiate
Initiate

Still not fixed, and it is not the camera itself that times out, because even when the monitor feature on the Arlo web page has timed out or not open, the camera still records motion and saves the capture.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

artfudd,

What are you experiencing? Live streams time out after 30 minutes by design.

JamesC

artfudd
Initiate
Initiate

@JamesC wrote:

artfudd,

JamesC

Well. if the timing out is by design, then why did you say: "Engineering is aware of this issue and hopes to have a fix available very soon. "?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

artfudd,

That post was in response mikezekoff who was experiencing a different issue that has since been resolved. Sorry for the confusion.

JamesC

AlexJH
Initiate
Initiate

@JamesC wrote:

artfudd,

JamesC

James,

Can you please clarify _why_ this is by design?  There is no indiciation of such limitations on any technical product docuentations -- certainly a consumer would expect that a CAMERA, when plugged in to AC POWER, would not unexpectedly timeout.  

Does this Arlo 30 minutes timeout limitation exist on the Arlo Pro 2, when connected to AC power, as well?

I also DO have the Arlo Baby ... but perhaps you guys sold me one of the earlier generation models that were discontinued, I'm having a horrible experience.  My Arlo Baby lag is 2.5x greater than my Arlo Pro (that's 6+ seconds... unacceptable for monitoring a child) and the reception is choppy when local streaming is on.  This experience is not a rare one.  The Arlo Baby is a huge liability waiting to happen, and puts my child at risk.

I've invested heavily into the Arlo ecosystem, and also brought along other family members for the journey, only to be left with a product that cannot be trusted.

Can you kindly answer the questions above and offer me any recourse?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AlexJH,

The 30 minute timeout was a decision made at the engineering level when the camera was designed. There are some discussions in the Arlo Idea Exchange on this, I encourage you to visit them and offer your support by adding kudos if you would like to support a change in this area.

The issue you're experiencing with Arlo Baby should not have any relation to the hardware. The newer version of the Arlo Baby has no hardware difference, only cosmetic (gray ears/feet). The local streaming issue you're describing could be due to a poor connection. Are you connected to your router with 2.4ghz or 5ghz? Do you experience a difference when connected to one vs the other? Which mobile app are you using (iOS or Android)?

JamesC

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Just my opinion / guess.............The 30 minute timeout is probably due to server/data center capacity. All Arlo data transfers (live streaming, recording, etc) goes thru the Arlo servers/data centers. There is no local transfer of data, like a POE system with a DVR would have. If a million arlo users all decided to have 1 or 2 or more cameras live streaming all the time, non-stop, it would probably overwhelm the arlo servers. It makes sense to limit live viewing time so that everyone has an acceptable experience.

Bp0723
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has anyone came up wth a solution to the camera timing out after a half hour of viewing. This is very much an issue for me and I thought it was being addressed back in March. Any updates would be much appreciated.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only the Baby camera can continuously stream. The battery-operated ones will always be an issue since they're - battery-operated. If AC-powered, you can subscribe to CVR that will allow you to stream although not exactly the same way as live view. BTW, using live view disables motion detection recordings so you may be hurting yourself.

Maricor
Aspirant
Aspirant

I log out of my arlo account and sign back in and I was able to watch live video again.