Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection has false alerts

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jerkyfeep
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. I recently moved to a new house and mounted the Arlo Pro camera on the porch. A little change of the lighting caused by a car moving by the house causes the camera to detect motion. I already cranked the motion detection sensitivity down to 30%, but I still receive 5-10 false alerts a day. Can anything be done with that?

Here is a typical video I get on such alerts: https://youtu.be/m1s2OQIAN74

8 REPLIES 8
dcfox1
Master
Master

Looking at the vid I noticed in the upper right some red leaves from the edge of a limb or something red blowing right at the edge of the road well before the car even came into view. May be the reason. Try adjusting the view or if have activity zone taking that area out may help. I had same problem at the start. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, the PIR detects people out to 25 ft... so try not to cover areas more than that if possible.

BTW, make sure you are adjusting the SENSE level in the arming MODE, not in the settings test area

Then when you do adjust , lower about 2% at a time and test so in the end you get max detection without a lot of false triggers.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jerkyfeep
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, and thanks for looking into this.

I honestly don't believe the camera is sensitive enough to detect those leaves moving. It usually detects Amazon couriers only when they are at my front door already.

Although I adjusted the view slightly to the left, let's see if fixes the issue.

jerkyfeep
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi!

Yes, I believe I have the sensitivity set correctly.

jerkyfeep
Aspirant
Aspirant

@TomMac An update. At 30% sensitivity it didn't detect an Amazon courier with a huge box today.

At the same time it keeps sending false alerts where I don't see any movement at all. Example: https://youtu.be/gcPoF7X_uxs 

I would appreciate any other ideas to fix it.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you have more than one camera, you can try swapping them... at least to eliminate a camera issue.

If it were me, I prob end up moving the camera,... looking back at the video , it may just be reflecting IR from the pavement/sidewalk. 

Most of mine run about 90% setting... only in bad wind do I use a lower 75% setting ( custom mode )

At 30%, It just seems to low to be effective to capture people ( like you said ).  Was thinking you get to about 75% or more for a sweet spot.

jerkyfeep
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @TomMac Swapped cameras between my porch and backyard. The second camera behaves the same way.

https://youtu.be/qtBFbAacf-k

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Since both cameras act up the same way in the same location, it's not the cameras  IMO...

I would move the camera as it just appears the IR from the sidewalk is reflecting to much and as it changes you get false triggers.