Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection False Alarms After Live Feed

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 In Conversation
bigpappy
Aspirant
Aspirant

On one of my Arlo Pro camera's, after I view a live feed, I immediatley get motion detection alerts for that camera that happen every 2 minutes until I disarm the system.  I can arm it back up again with no issues but as soon as I pull up a live feed of that camera, the false alerts begin again.  They are all recorded to my library.  I have to delete all the recordings and emails and put up with all the push notifications until I can disarm the system.  Has anyone had a similar experience or know what might fix this issue?  I have moved the camera and played with the motion sensitivity but think this problem may be more complex than that.  Any idea's would be welcome.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bigpappy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey JamesC,

I returned the camera to the retail establishment I bought it at (less than a month old) without issue.  The new camera has been working perfectly without problems.  Netgear also offered to replace the camera after 1,000 troubleshooting drills didn't work.   

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Mine were replaced which fixed the issue. If new enough, you could swap the system at the store or open a case using the Contact Support link at the bottom of the desktop version of these pages.
bigpappy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried taking the battery out of the camera, waiting 10 minutes then putting it back in.  I rebooted the Base and Router by un plugging and re plugging back in and have created new modes and rules all with the same results...numerous false motion notifications one after another.  I will try and return the camera for one that works.  Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bigpappy,

Did exchanging the camera resolve the issue? Please let us know.

JamesC

Memcor77
Guide
Guide
I'm experiencing the same thing. After a motion event stops recording it immediately starts another motion recording even tho no motion has happen. It will do this multiple times in a row. I have to restart the base station to make it stop!
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
jrangel
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem but not just at night. It is happening during the day also. Any help would be appreciated.

bigpappy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey JamesC,

I returned the camera to the retail establishment I bought it at (less than a month old) without issue.  The new camera has been working perfectly without problems.  Netgear also offered to replace the camera after 1,000 troubleshooting drills didn't work.   

jrangel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. My Arlo is beyond the return policy allowed by the store. Can you elaborate on what you mean by 1000 troubleshooting tips? Thanks

bigpappy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure I can recall all the things I tried.  Moved the camera to another spot so see if it still happened.  Took the battery out of the camera, waited 10 minutes then put it back in.  Exchanged the battery with another camera.  Recharged the battery to 100%.  Rebooted the Base and Router by un plugging and re plugging back in.  Created new modes and rules.  Deleted the device and then re-registered it.  Turned off night vision, then turned back on.  There were probably a few more things they told me to try but I can't remember the others.   

jrangel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. Will begin the testing

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm having the same problem with one camera. After live viewing, it starts recording with no motion at all and wont stop until I turn it off and on a couple of times. Is there any other fix except returning it? Can I return one camera to the retailer if I bought the 4 camera kit? Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Its a hardware problem so a swap is needed. So e folks have talked their way into getting the store to swap a camera rather than the whole set but you're on your own for that.
harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

After A conversation with customer service, this seemed to fix this issue, at least mine. The CS rep had me lower the sensitivity to 1% and place the camera in a drawer. Then turn on live view. Then return camera to normal and reset the sensitivity to normal (85% in my case). I haven't been able to replicate the problem since. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix. By the way, my retailer BB would not accept a return on just one camera. They wanted the whole system returned. I figured I'll try this first. Good luck.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Thanks! We can try suggesting that in the future to see if it helps others.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Very interesting...........

This is happening to one of my cameras and only at night as others described.  Going to try the fix and report back with findings.

Capture-1.PNG

Elessar18
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too am experiencing the multi-false alarms after going back to sense mode from being on Live Feed. And for me, this is only on 1 of my 5 cameras and only happens at night, with the Night Vision setting ON. My fix is to disable the camera, then immediately enable it. That stops the typical 4-5 false motion detection alerts I would usually get.

After reading other posts on the subject, I agree perhaps a firmware tweak is in order relating to the IR sensor functionality when coming off of Live Feed  mode.

I certainly want to keep up to date on anything more discovered; will check back often.

Thank you all,

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, it seems that this fix only worked for 1 day. This is not a permanent fix, so I spoke to CS and they elevated my case to level 2. I am requesting to return the camera. This only happens at night. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will post an update with more information as soon as I can. We appreciate your patience in this process.

JamesC

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

According to netgear support, there is a hardware problem with Arlo Pro Camera  (VMC4030). I just received a camera form amazon yesterday and returned it today. It was also defective. jguerdat, what cameras did you receive that fixed your problem?  Where they the VMC4030. Don't order from amazon until they get some new replacements. 

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

UPDATE: Amazon has stopped selling these for now.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

was just on Amazon,  they are still available for purchase

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

Add to cart and try it. It states "ships once available"  Before I spoke to them at 9am, they were shipping in 1 day because they were shipping me a new one. After the email I received from netgear, I spoke to amazon and cancelled my order. They  said they were contacting netgear..Now it says "when available" and estimated delivery March 1st. 

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

Once available was placed on it today.

IMG_2132.PNG