Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
RBC28
Tutor
Tutor

Recently spent roughly $1000 on a six camera Arlo Pro Indoor/Outdoor system.   I was surprised to find only ONE true outdoor mount in the kit.  Does that trouble anyone else?   I sent a note to Netgear and they suggested I post here - not sure why.   Seems a better answer would be to say "We will include 6 outdoor mounts in each kit from now on, and oh by the way, also send you 5 at no charge."   Thoughts? 

11 REPLIES 11
DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

The round magnetic mounts are the standard mount and can be used indoors or out.

Ringo615
Aspirant
Aspirant
Recently purchased the 3 arlo pro cameras with rechargeable batteries, I sent the other arlo without rechargeable batteries they don't last, anyway.. I did not purchase the netgear out door mounts but bought the Wasserstein mounts not quite as tall but they serve their purpose.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RBC28,

Depending on the kit you purchased, outdoor mounts may or may not be included. All included contents will be listed on the packaging for each kit. Additional outdoor mounts are available for purchase separately, take a look here: Arlo Products and Accessories

JamesC

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

His point was that you only include 1. The magnet ones are sort of a joke. So if a cam becomes dislodged NG will replace for free? There are very few customers who feel secure using them. And your markup on the screw in ones is excessive. On sale they can be sold for $15.99 but the regular price is $19.99. Even at $15.99 you are already **bleep** folks who spend close to $500 at least for your cams.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GearNetRouter,

As mentioned, the dome mounts are the standard mount and are included in all kits. Some kits contain outdoor security mounts, which are not standard in all kits. The contents and quantity for each kit is listed on the packaging. There are many additional options available in the link above for purchase that offer the user flexibility for mounting their cameras.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I have 6 cameras mounted outdoors with the dome mount and 2 with other mounts (1 is to allow the use of the solar panel). The dome mounts work fine in many/most situations although YMMV.

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

I have 4 with dome and 1 with the other.  Only problem with the standar dome is it need to stick out further and have a tapered base so the camera can tilt down/left/right more with skins attached.

RBC28
Tutor
Tutor

Paid almost a thousand bucks for a kit labeled "Indoor/Outdoor."  Seems reasonable to expect that the proper mounts for outdoor use would be included.  on pg 7 of the Quick Start Guide, "To mount your camera outdoors," the mount shown is the one with the threaded stud, not the magnetic mount.   And yes, while I appreciate your comment about the contents being listed on the packaging, I specifically asked the sales person if the kit had everything I needed to mount all six cameras outdoors and was assured it did.  So once again, my point to Netgear is that either all the proper contents should be included - not that you should have to pay more to make the system as it is described (remember "Indoor/Outdoor") in large print on the box. Sort of like buying a car and finding out the tires are an extra cost option.    This is not a terribly well thought out marketing scheme and I suggest it be corrected.  

pc2k17
Hero
Hero
Just my quick thoughts.......... They do give you mounts that you can use indoors and outdoors. I think your issue isn't that you didn't get 6 outdoor specific mounts and 6 indoor specific mounts, but that you just don't like the magnetic mount for outdoors.

The magnetic mounts can be used outdoors so technically they did give you mounts for indoor and outdoor.

If there were magnetic indoor specific mounts and outdoor specific mounts in every kit the prices would be higher and people would be paying for something they might not need. Keep the price down and for people who don't like to use the magnetic mount outside they can choose to buy other mounts.
RBC28
Tutor
Tutor

I guess I am not articulating my point very well.   IF the magnetic mounts are satisfactory for outdoor use, NETGEAR should state that.   They should cite some specs for this use.   For example, we live in an area which is susceptible to high winds from time to time.  I would like to know what wind speeds these mounts/cameras could experience without the cameras being blown off.   IF the max wind speed is high enough, then why bother with the screw on type mount?   THAT would be a way to save money.  After this I am done.  I am just not pleased with the way NETGEAR dealt with this issue.  Will pass along to any friends looking for security cameras. 

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

The screw type mount extends out further and allows for more flexibility.  With the magnetic mount, you can adjust just so far and then it comes in contact with the mount.  As for high winds, its much easier to move my screw in mount than my magnetic.  There are a few videos online taken during Irma.  They don't state which mount but on youtube you could ask.