Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Back when I got the system in May 2017, in the armed mode and also when you setup rules in your custom mode you used to be able to name that rule whatever you wanted. I see now that you can't edit the name of the rules anymore. The modes and rules are all about customizing your experience, but they remove the ability to customize or change the rule name. Defies all logic.

So now the rules auto-name themselves "If motion on camera 1" or "If audio on camera 1" depending on what options you choose in your rule. So the other day I install my new Pro 2 outside, edit the rule that automatically appears in the Armed mode and it's working good. Next day it's quite windy and I'm getting false alarms so I go in the Armed mode to edit the rule to turn the sensitivity down and I see my rule has now, all by itself, changed its name to "motion trigger". Not only that, but audio detection was now turned on. I did not have audio on, it turned on all by itself. I figure the rule is corrupt so I decide to make all new custom modes and rules.

I create an "Away", Away Windy", "Home", and "Home Windy". Working good, then today I go into the Modes just to check things make sure it's all still good and now EVERY rule in EVERY mode is now called "motion trigger" and audio detection got turned on automatically for the Pro 2 camera in EVERY rule that it was used in. WTF!!

Anyone seen this before? I rules seem to be working, they are just all named "motion triger" and audio detection keeps coming on in the Pro 2 rules.

7 REPLIES 7
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Anyone? Any ideas what's going on here. I rebooted my phone, rebooted base, no change.

See image........

arlo rules.jpg

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Signed into the arlo website and all my rules in the modes are named correctly. They only display wrong in the android app. This started after the recent app update. Since the arlo website was correct I tried to fix the arlo app....

Log out, log in = same issue

Log out, clear app cache, log in = same issue

Log out, clear app cache, clear app data = same issue

Log out, clear app cache, clear app data, uninstall app, delete all google backups, reboot, install app = same issue

It appears others are having different issues with the new version on the android app. Version 2.5.3_22376

@JamesC please have arlo app devs investigate.

Kdiddle
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same issues. I recently moved and now my cameras are in different locations but I can't change the rule names so now when the camera on the front porch is triggered I get notified that it's the "main room" Cam which can be a real issue in an emergency situation.

I'm very frustrated and hoping that one of my older phones has the app that hasn't been updated yet so I can revert back because this last update sucks!
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Ya I have no idea why they removed the ability to name rules what ever you wanted. Used to be able to in the android app and online.

But in your case, I think you're talking about the camera names. When I get a notification for a motion trigger event it says: "Arlo Motion is detected on Back Cam". I have named the camera Back Cam.

You can still change the name of the cameras, at least you can online and in the android app (don't know about iOS). I think you just need to change the name of your camera from main room to front porch.

Angus_Marshall
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm getting the same. Pathetic. Its renamed the rules to a bland unhelpful name, the same for each one, "motion trigger". Very unhelpful. Do these guys test their software? Or are they deliberately trying to make things sh1t for us?
Angus_Marshall
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is clearly software written by children. If you rename a camera, the rule name doesn't even update. I have some rules where the system has imposed the name "motion trigger" , and others where they haven't and they now refer to an incorrect camera name. What a lousy system.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Angus_Marshall

I'm not sure why it happened, but I fixed all my rule names. You have to sign into your arlo account on the website then fix the rules names there. Once you fix them on the website the app will then show them correctly as well. Since I fixed the names they have stayed correct for several weeks now. I think it's a bug in the app since the website works fine.