Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Lost footage

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
VancouverKim
Aspirant
Aspirant
The preview on one of my cameras showed my kids coming home. I clicked on the live feed and then the footage from my kids arriving home disappeared. I checked the library for the camera in the backyard which would also record my kids coming home and there is no footage showing their return. There is a 4 hour gap. - last library recording at 11:30 and no 3:30 recording of their return. What happened to my library footage? Both cameras are showing as being online.
11 REPLIES 11
Megane
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am dealing with the exact same issues! Recroding some motion, but minutes later not other motion (when I know for a fact there was motion that it should have picked up!). Also, I noticed today I will get a notification of motion, but then the notification will disapear and there will be no recording in my library! This is the worst monitoring system if it is not picking up all detection! So many holes! I have noticed this has recently started in line with the update.

Arlo, what do we do?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"It depends." (TM)

A possible issue is whether you were using live view during or after a recording. Live view disables automatic recording but you can manually record.

Megane
Aspirant
Aspirant
That hasn’t been the Case with mine issues, mostly of them have been at night when I have not had my app open. It will record something and then minutes later not pick up motion.... then this morning it didn’t pick up interior motion from my husband but then did minutes later. This afternoon while I was not home it sent me a notifcation that motion was picked up in the front yard, when I went to click on the notification nothing was in my library and then the notification diassapeared. Most of these issues have come to my knowledge since Saturday night.
Megane
Aspirant
Aspirant
Could the new update be causing any of these issues? My husband uses the Android App and updated his I believe over the weekend and I use the IPhone app and updated mine this morning. The apps look different on each phone and wasn’t sure if using the same log in on both phones is causing issues? Please help!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The app shouldn't have any effect. It's the camera, base and servers - the app is just an interface into that system.

Megane
Aspirant
Aspirant

So what would be your suggestion to get all movement recording verse intermittently?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That could be due to camera position and/or sensitivity setting. Have you tried looking at the FAQs here for positioning and changing sensitivity?

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

jgerdat:  Can we really say with certainly the app has nothing to do with losing videos?  Clearly the app has the ability to delete videos.  What if there was some odd behavior in the app that caused it to delete some videos?  It may be improbable, but with a major re-write, I wouldn't rule anything out.  That said, I also know it is extremely common for users to blame a new release for behavior that has nothing to do with the new release.  We do much worse at connecting dots that are not connected in real life.

Megane
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any ideas why my cameras and picking up some motions, but not others within minutes apart? Also todaynit said I had a recording, but never went to the library and then the notification disappeared. Just noticing this since the update is why I was asking if that could be the culprit...
VancouverKim
Aspirant
Aspirant

Picking up some motion and not others that are basically the same is what has happened to mine as well as knowing there should be footage (actually seeing the library preview) and then having the video not be in my library.  I don't believe it's due to the app update, as I noticed it before the update occurred (approx 2 weeks ago) and well as yesterday.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@AncientGeek wrote:

jgerdat:  Can we really say with certainly the app has nothing to do with losing videos?

Yer right, of course - stuff happens. However, the fact that not everyone is having the problem pretty much eliminates that as the source - but not completely.