Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Jimbo435
Guide
Guide

Please confirm this is how local recording can work on an Arlo Pro Base Station:

I insert 2 USB drives.  

It will record on #1 until full, and then start recording on #2.

I safely remove #1, and put in a blank USB drive in slot #1

It will continue to record on #2 until full, and then start recording on #1

I safely remove #2 and put in a blank USB drive in slot #2

Repeat.

Is this how it works?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
Not 100% sure it happen automatically...
Do know it will switch auto if you have two and eject one. And you can always check how full it is in setting
Check settings for overwrite option as it less than 5MB, it will overwrite the old files

from manual;
If another USB storage device is still connected to your Arlo Pro base station( when one removed) and USB recording  is turned on, recording is automatically enabled on that USBstorage device.

By default, when the available USB storage is less than 20%, the oldest recording is
erased to make room for new recordings. You can change this setting if you want.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
Not 100% sure it happen automatically...
Do know it will switch auto if you have two and eject one. And you can always check how full it is in setting
Check settings for overwrite option as it less than 5MB, it will overwrite the old files

from manual;
If another USB storage device is still connected to your Arlo Pro base station( when one removed) and USB recording  is turned on, recording is automatically enabled on that USBstorage device.

By default, when the available USB storage is less than 20%, the oldest recording is
erased to make room for new recordings. You can change this setting if you want.

Jimbo435
Guide
Guide

Confirmed, not automatic.  I had 2 small 4GB drives installed, and when first filled up, just told me it was full and no recordings were being captured.  

Oddly (and this looks like a bug), even after I told it to use the second USB, which was empty, it still told me in the app that the drive was full and no recordings were being saved.  When in fact, it was saving to the second USB.

So it looks like the error message and icon are triggered by ANY full USB, and automatically say no recordings are being saved, even if not true.

So this answered my question: even though it has 2 USB connections, it really only automatically uses one.  So I will buy USB drives of an appropriate size.

Please Netgear fix this.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

or just run a 64 gb speed stick and have it auto delete the older files as it fills... that is a normal 6 months backup+

( tho i do understand, you would think it auto swaps)