Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
yeebee29
Star
Star

I have been having trouble with the new Arlo app ever since I downloaded it. It is much slower, and it is not allowing me to play back videos that are recorded. I read another post about watching the videos on a computer. I hope there's another solution because the reason the app is on the phone is so we can monitor our property on the phone. Please help! This is getting frustrating!

97 REPLIES 97
Jimmytiff
Aspirant
Aspirant
Me too:(
Kane80
Initiate
Initiate
Since the newest update, I can't watch video captures unless I'm on wifi...it just keeps buffering.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

iOS or Android?

Also what version of the app are you running?  2.7, 2.8, 2.8.1, 2.9???

You might try removing and reinstalling the app.  Maybe first try clearing the data cache it uses.

Alfie64
Star
Star

After the last update about 90% of my recordings won't playback on my phone (LG G8) app anymore. Just constantly "buffering" then won't allow any playback.  I've cleared cache, uninstalled app, reinstalled app and nothing is correcting this issue.

If I'm lucky, one or two videos will play after a long "buffering" message. But it's rare.

PLEASE FIX THIS ARLO !!!!

odgreen1
Star
Star

Thanks for the response, and I found that I can see the archived video from the website, but used to be able to see it from my phone and it's no longer working at all there. Not sure if this is related to the new app update, but that's when it stopped working for me. 

The live viewing still works on the app, but none of the archived motion activated videos will play. They just show "buffering" until it eventually times out.

odgreen1
Star
Star

This is occurring on the new mobile app. Ever since I was informed of the need to upgrade and uninstall the Legacy app. I upgraded to the new app and the first time and every time since, I can see stills of the motion activated videos, but cannot play them, just shows buffering for 15-30 seconds (approx) and then goes back to the still image.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 running Android Version 9

Thanks,

Tim

odgreen1
Star
Star

New Arlo app and Samsugn Galaxy S9 Edge with Android version 9

odgreen1
Star
Star

I thought that I've heard sideloading of APKs is bypassing the Google approved and security tested apps certified as safe in the Play Store. I'm guessing the Arlo Legacy app may not be a concern for this, but you also never know who's posting in these forums and if you're being routed to a malware site with malicious intent.

After reading several of these posts, it is apparent to me that the proper solution is for Arlo to fix the bug on the Android OS (and possibly Samsung devices as many of the users with the same issue are on Samsung I noticed). I don't work for their tech support and I was able to suss that much out just from these posts.

Having said that, I understand that bugs take time to fix, but at least provide a workaround and timetable to all of us frustrated with this issue. For me personally, I've had a recent break-in attempt at my home and having the ability to see these videos quickly when alerted is very important and frankly, the primary use for the majority of users.

odgreen1
Star
Star

Sideloading is bypassing Google approved security sources. I would not do it unless you can verify that the provided link is providing you software that Arlo guarantees is safe.

Many hackers and rogue nation states will post links such as these with a modified version of a vendor's software that contains spyware, malware, etc. 

My advice is to only follow replies given by Arlo support personnel and to only used secure apps found in the Play Store.

Zalin2019
Guide
Guide

I agree with everything you have said, and I hope you have opened a case with Arlo tech support and are not just relying on your comments here to actually get a solution.

Please report your issue to tech support. Open a case and get someone to notice the problem so many of us are having. There is no guarantee that tech support or anyone at all from Arlo actually reads these forums.

toodaze
Aspirant
Aspirant

Installed the new "Required" APP on my Galaxy 10s, now the videos in the library wont play at all, it just "Buffers" forever. and after getting the notification of a recording, the Live feed buffers for a couple minutes before going live. My House would already be robbed! Talked to Arlo Tech Support, they had me re-boot the base station, re-install the app, try with wifi, try using data, nothing fixes it. So I have FIVE cameras that look pretty hanging on the wall, but that's about all they are good for. Please fix ASAP, or lose me forever ARLO.  Read the comments on the playstore for downloading the APP, 99% are having the same issue!!!  Also fix it so that you stay logged in, having to log in everytime I get a notification is just adding insult to injury!!

odgreen1
Star
Star

Hi Zalin2019,

Opening a ticket wasn't possible from their site and when I clicked on Support and Contact Us, the link kept loging me out only to ask for me to login again and the cycle repeated. I'm now chatting with Arlo Support and will post anything I get that helps all of us

odgreen1
Star
Star

FYI - just chatted with Arlo Support and they said their support team is aware of the issue and opened a ticket for me. They told me I could use the old app in the meantime. Hopefully, I will be able to download it from the Play Store, but I noticed some of you say it's no longer there.

If I get anything worthwhile back, I'll post it here

odgreen1
Star
Star

UPDATE: I was able to install the approved legacy app from the Google Play Store by searching for Arlo and one of the apps is called Arlo Legacy by NETGEAR. It works fine and I'm again able to play captured videos. Only downside is after installing it has a message to update to the new app by Sep 30th to continue receiving updates. Hopefully, they'll fix the new app or extend the updates from the old app. If by updates, they mean to the app, then I'm fine with it the way it is. If they mean alerts, then that's no good.

Djjeffa
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok so Its on google play now and I downloaded it. Now it will play on mobile network but it buffers for almost a min before it plays i did a speed test and im at 20mbps which should be plenty of speed. Any ideal what is wrong now? It never buffered till the new software.
Gav77
Initiate
Initiate
I've just installed the legacy app and still the same problem with a lack of video playback. This combined with the firmware update that required you to physically be at the base station are really making Arlo look like an amateur outfit. Maybe you would be better suited to launching non essential solutions (those where it doesn't matter if they go off line repeatedly) rather than home security. Come on Arlo, sort this out....
Scottatkins
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine has been doing same thing unless on my wifi network
App Version: 6.9.62.23006
OS Version: 8.1.0
Phone Version: TCL 6062W
Device Type: Netgear Arlo
Chibo912
Aspirant
Aspirant
Had the same issue, buffering video not playing, tearing my hair out.

New app update to version 2.9.1 is on playstore now, and everything works. I had to find the update, playstore did not auto update the app in the background.
Zalin2019
Guide
Guide

I just downloaded the new app. Again. It appears to be working. I won't delete the legacy app until I am sure.

Deanomite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fixed!

Yes, the new app works good for me too as well. I have the legacy app saved just in case.

Thank you Arlo for fixing this quickly. 

ClaireBr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Shock horror people it seems to be working off wifi! No word from Arlo during any of this. Great comms there, not.