Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
iseeyou2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anyone else experiencing longer buffer/delays during live stream viewing since the update?

Prior to the update, the buffer was about 1-3 seconds.

Now the stream stops/starts every other second till there is roughly a 30 second buffer, then it is smooth, but with 30+ second delay.

This is happening on both a wired PC through the browser and through Android app.

We get about 10Mbs+ upstream (200+ down) and haven't changed anything on our end.

Motion recording/playback seems to be unchanged and smooth.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

20 REPLIES 20
iseeyou2018
Apprentice
Apprentice
Tom_42
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue. Streaming live video on Arlo Pro is intermittent. Sometimes it streams, video and sound, sometimes just sound, sometimes the icon is the spinning wheel of death. I even paid to have my wifi speed updated. Been going on since early March of 2018
iseeyou2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

Live stream seems to be back to normal (for now), for me. 1-3 sec buffer.

Motion recording also seems to be a bit better.

iseeyou2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, I guess it was a fluke that seemed it was back to normal as mentioned in my post on 5/25.

It's not. I been checking since my last post, and the Live stream is still start/stop every other second till a 30+ sec delay/buffer.

But the motion recording does seem to be a bit better.

Jpres615
Aspirant
Aspirant
Live Stream Buffer/Delay issues since last firmware update.
Prior to the update, the buffer was about 3 seconds.
Now the stream stops/starts every other second until there is an approximate 30 second buffer, then it smooths out but with 30+ second delay.
This is happening using IOS app.
Motion recording/playback seems to be normal.
WhistlerZN
Initiate
Initiate

Has anyone managed to find a resolution to this problem? I have just bought an Arlo Pro with 2 cameras and both have the same problem i.e. about a minute delay in live streaming - video and sound! This happens on the app and web interface. I have not done any firmware updates - it is straight out the box. It sounds like this is a problem that everyone is suddenly all having at the same time, so must be something Netgear/Arlo have done....maybe something has gone wrong with their cloud storage and it can't cope?

Whatever it is, I will be very dissapointed if this is not resolved as I spent the extra to buy these as opposed to other cheaper options as I did not want to have software issues and bugs to have to try work around....at this price point it should all just work!

Seems pointless to have 2 way audio with  minute delay between communications - makes it totally useless for this!

Stevegord
Star
Star

This issue raised its ugly head months ago. Netgear can’t / won’t fix it.  It’s probably time to junk it and replace with systems that work

thanhtetaung
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there any work around about this until now? or Is that solved?

Got a bit delayed for me too with firmware update.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

thanhtetaung,

Have you tried to reboot your base station? Have you had any increased traffic on your network? Do you have the latest firmware for your phone/device? Does this occur over WIFI & cellular data?

thanhtetaung
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi ShayneS,

Yes, I did firmware update after all devices connected and then restarted.

With home wifi, it took 3-4 sec delay. With celluar, it is much more delay but I didn't really test yet how much delay in detail.

I don't think it is network issue only like you guys commanly response because with android app, it keeping me showing buffering for long time, and then I stopped the app, and reopen and live stream again, buffering is very quick and I can see straight. By the way with latest android app update, samsung rom seems to be force and close the app quite often.

If you don't mind can you explain me how that live streaming data is happening to mobile app, how that network traffice is happening?

MAllen22842
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes.. This... Netgear's firmware and app updates have gotten worse and worse as time has gone by. I work for the local telecommunications company. I have a 16 port switch and a Netgear router in my house. Even if all other devices are turned off in the house their is a significant delay on the cameras sending their feed back to the basestation. I have done several speed tests (from here in Virginia all the way to Boston) and no speed issues on the network. A 50 Mbps connection on my end should be more than sufficient.

The problem seems to be the feed from Arlo's base stations back to their inhouse network. It is complete trash and is just gradually getting worse. That tells me they are probably selling cameras and what not but their network inhouse is not scaling to handle the customer intake. The more customers they get the worse it gets.

I can hardly ever get ahold of anyone at Arlo support either by phone, chat, or otherwise too. Pretty s***** service. Aside from canned replies I doubt they will even address this outside of "It must be your network or you must not be up-to-date". It is not my network and everything is updated currently.

Honestly at some point I will likely get rid of the Arlo system and go with something more reliable. It used to not be this bad but I regret picking this product now.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@thanhtetaung,

How much delay are you having consistently?

Stevegord
Star
Star

Hi Shayne,

thanks for contacting me.  There has been no improvement in the last weeks.  As mentioned previously, and as you can see by my account, I have 4 separate geographic locations (Victoria/Australia) with cameras. The latest one with Pro 2.  One location is serviced by Fixed Wireless with 40mg upload, 2 are adsl2, the 4th is a 4G wireless broadband.  I run it on an iPhone X on a 4G network and will use wifi in all the above locations.  All software/firmware is kept uptodate across all devices and installations.  

As also mentioned everything worked just fine in May before a firmware update.  

Audio/Video capture and subsequent upload storage to the cloud is not the issue.  Viewing stored audio/video from the cloud is not an issue either i.e. there is no audio or video stuttering.

The problem is realtime viewing of streamed audio/visual.  Regardless of which camera / location I view and my location, the audio/video is choppy and stuttering.  It makes it impossible to view & hear realtime.  Communication has never been available as the latency is probably 3 to 4 seconds.

There clearly is a systemic problem at Arlo.  It just can't be a localised issue with my multiple connection across my multiple internet connections.  Of course it could be an issue with Arlo's servers & their locations.  If they are in the USA and not locally in Australia coupled with internet traffic choke points. 

So I hope you can appreciate that I don't want to waste my time with your tech support getting me to on reset, reboots, downloads etc etc - the normal tech support playbook that you have to go through. 

Unfortunately I've become committed to the Arlo biosphere.   But it is frustrating and I am recommending to anyone who asks me, that they should definitely look for a better solution.

cheers

Steve

thanhtetaung
Aspirant
Aspirant
  1. Around 20 sec for buffering as minimum, after app update, sometime cannot view. Need to restart the app several time.(android phone app). In iPad app, surprisingly very quick, just 3 to 5 sec only with 1bar connection.
  2. notification : since app is crashing several time, I didn’t get notifications, and got lots of false notifications like tree movement, sunshade, brightness changes etc (android phone app)
  3. and notification reach me 20 to 40 sec delay
  4. recording: it doesn’t seem to record all movement when a real person is crossed over, it is like variable 10 sec to 1min and then stop. I use one with ac, one with battery at front doors

any ideas , any workaround for those?

Kliptic
Tutor
Tutor

I have a couple of more weeks to decide if I'm returning my 4-camera Arlo Pro 2 system, and I'm wondering if a solution to this problem is in the works. If nothing is in the works then no point holding on to the system where both the video and 2-way audio are significantly delayed.

Out of the box there were no delays, but once everything was updated there is now a 20-60second delay in the live feed. I'm currently only using 2 out of the 4 cameras and both experience this. Netgear router signal strength is high and the hub is within a couple meters of the cameras. 

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Wait when Arlo 4k officially comes out, then you'll see twice the delay... lol

Tnatural2000
Guide
Guide

My arlos worked great for a year.  Now aside from the 3D Iphone touch arm/disarm no longer working I am experiencing the 45 sec 'Live' feed video issue.  I contacted ARLO today and after 30 min of the canned PD,  I referred the tech to the ARLO community board which had dozens of people facing the same exact issue. He said he was opening a second tier case and that they would 'try to emulate the situation in their lab'.  I don't understand what happened - as soon as ARLO went public this system I was happy with is absolute junk.  I am so happy I kept the packaging from Costco over a year ago as I will be packing this system back up soon if nobody calls me back from the 'second tier help desk' with a resolve in the works.  Also - they said that the 3D Touch arm/disarm is being addressed in the next software update.  Who knows. I know people with the same system, with the same Arlo app version number and they aren't experiencing the slow motion buffering live video feed, I don't understand why it is only a % of users it would seem.

Tnatural2000
Guide
Guide

IS ANYONE FROM ARLO FIXING THE LIVE FEED DELAY/STUTTER ISSUE? What is the point of these boards if no representative from Arlo is responding?  There is a known issue with the cameras that used to work fine.  They no longer have a useful Live Feed property until it is resolved.  When you call tech support they ask you questions about your router even though there are hundreds of complaints about this issue in the forum and online.   ARLO CAN YOU PLEASE ADDRESS THIS WHEN WILL THE FIRMWARE BE FIXED?

ArloUsr
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same exact problem started after firmware upgrade and keeps getting worse.

Initially there was a 1-3 second delay in video and now it is maybe 30 seconds - seems to keep increasing. little by little.

Happens with app on an android phone latest Galaxy S7Edge version, Alexa Echo View and also on the website.  I bought the phone to check in on my son and speak to him until i got home from work each day.  Things were difficult with the 1-3 second delay, but after we trained eachother to wait we got by.  Now the Arlo Pro2 is unusable for communicating via video/voice with the 30 second delay.

I have tried everything to resolve this reboot routers, base station, camera's, phone app and Alexa Echo view.  The problem is with the Arlo Pro 2 system since the upgrade and is not a network problem.  I can watch high def tv on my network and have a very very good netgear gigabit router.  It seems like i have all the other problems mentioned in this blog as well.

Anyone find a solution to this problem?

Jpres615
Aspirant
Aspirant
Several months ago I switched my internet service from AT&T (12mbps download 1mbps upload speed) to Xfinity (60mbps download 10mbps upload speed). Prior to the switch to Xfinity I was experiencing the exact issues that everyone in this forum has. Since the switch I no longer experience any delays whatsoever (it has been 4 months now). I totally believe that it is the upload speed that is of any significance. The minimum requirement from Arlo for upload is 1mbps. Even though AT&T claimed their internet was 1mbps, when measured during speed tests I recorded a maximum of .8mbps. I performed a speed test today with my Xfinity internet and it was 59mbps download and 6mbps upload speed (Note that I only have Xfinity’s basic internet plan and I had AT&T’s best plan for my location). So bottom line is that I am very pleased with my Arlo cameras at this time. I hope this helps.