Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Browngotch
Initiate
Initiate

When viewing live mode the motion sensor icon goes greyed out and motion detection will not detect so recording will not happen. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

That is correct. If you go into live view, the motion detection turns off. If you want to record what you are seeing, you'll need to press the record button (the one that looks like a target)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

That is correct. If you go into live view, the motion detection turns off. If you want to record what you are seeing, you'll need to press the record button (the one that looks like a target)

Browngotch
Initiate
Initiate
When a camera triggers due to motion you can then switch that camera to live mode and watch. I have noticed the recording will still take place when watching live provided the motion triggers the recording first. It would only make sense then that when watching live the motion trigger logic is still activated. Seems like a flaw?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Browngotch,

The mode for the camera is disengaged when initiating a live view. After the live stream is ended, the camera returns to the set mode. This is behaving as designed.

JamesC

cherlock
Star
Star

There should at least be an option to enable motion detection in live mode. I would like to be able to monitor a camera in live mode and caputre any motion that takes place without having to record alot of inactivity.

I have an issue with the motion activity not triggering record, so I turned the sensitivity up to 100% and that may have fixed that issue, not sure yet. It was during my troubleshooting I discovered what I also believe to be a flaw of not recording in live mode. 

Not only should it be an optional switch, but should be default -- the intuitive setting.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

If you're using Live mode, aren't you watching the stream? To have live streaming and keep motion detection on would merely shorten the battery life and add little value to most people.

If you're planning on having a camera that you constantly live stream and watch yourself, Arlo may not be the best solution for you unless it's used indoors and constantly powered

cherlock
Star
Star

If you're using Live mode, aren't you watching the stream?

Yes

To have live streaming and keep motion detection on would merely shorten the battery life and add little value to most people.

When you say most people I assume you mean for your purposes, I don't know who "most people" are and why would that matter? Products are always being improved through suggestions.

If you're planning on having a camera that you constantly live stream and watch yourself, Arlo may not be the best solution for you unless it's used indoors and constantly powered. 

Suppose I have it set up indoors and constantly powered up, how would that option be accomplished? The point is, all I stated was there needs to be an option to do what maybe "most people" may not be interested in doing. Other options are available which "most people" may not be interested in, which is why they're called options.