Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Jeepguy36
Follower
Follower

I'm sure I'm not the only owner upset by the news that we have to replace our base station in order to get all of the new functionality. I understand if it was just the cameras that have been upgraded and need to be purchased, but requiring us to replace the base station as well when most of us have had this system probably less than 6 months to a year? There needs to be an upgrade or buyback promotion for the base stations, otherwise I'll probably just go with a completely different product if I have to spend all the money to replace it anyway.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

While there isn't currently a "buyback" or "trade in" program, keep in mind that the Arlo Pro Cameras are backward compatible. Additionally, your existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras can be synced to an Arlo Pro Base Station to utilize the new base station features. This allows for flexibility when adding to your existing Arlo Wire-Free system.

JamesC

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't have any info as to a upgrade promo... sorry

I do think the price once fully release may be lower from the discount stores like Amazon, etc. ( pre sales now )

But then again, Apple doen't give you anything when you upgrade your phone either.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
thaweatherman
Star
Star

Apple's software updates are at least backwards-compatible for at least one if not two versions of the phone.

MikeWerner
Star
Star

I don't think Netgear can be compared with Apple. Also, Apple have tradein programs.

Coming out with a so-so product, not updating it and then coming out with something that requires you to dump everything is borderline criminal.

Mdengle
Initiate
Initiate

I agree. I have been unhappy with my system since I bought them. The cost to replace the batteries is out of control. It also doesn't pick up all movement. Would like the opportunity to trade these in for a newer system. If not, I will be replacing with another brand system. 

vfactor
Initiate
Initiate
Last year they released a new version of Philips Hue which had support for Apple HomeKit- they then gave existing bridge owners a deep discount some 20% and a package which had only the bridge. I think Netgear should learn from these more successful IoT companies, considering they have a expensive battery sucking subpar product - and competitors like Nest are coming up with better products for outdoors with better smartphone integration and automation support. I am going to dump all my 6 arlo cams I have and move to Nest the first opportunity I get.
greekspiro
Guide
Guide
I sure hope they have a buy back/trade in, discount, etc. i've been dealing with awful motion sensor and a battery sucking system. Something should be offered. Plenty of new systems coming out and I can jump on one of those.
Guide
Guide

"But then again, Apple doen't give you anything when you upgrade your phone either."

But then again, Netgear is not apple.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

While there isn't currently a "buyback" or "trade in" program, keep in mind that the Arlo Pro Cameras are backward compatible. Additionally, your existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras can be synced to an Arlo Pro Base Station to utilize the new base station features. This allows for flexibility when adding to your existing Arlo Wire-Free system.

JamesC

ronen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. 

Im interesting to buy the Arlo pro. 

How often r you change the batteries and how much they cost?

thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The battery comes with the camera so no immediate need for one.  Over the lifetime of the battery, likely to be years, who knows what the cost will be?  Right now it's $50 (https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/rechargeable-battery.aspx).  How often you'll have to recharge remains to be seen since the cameras are only now being put into use.