Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is it possible to exclude a camera from Armed mode.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
I wish to exclude a camera from Armed mode. I know I can turn off a camera. But with this Login bug going around at the moment, that is unreasonable. I use IFTTT, to Arm and disarm. I know I can create custom modes, but can not trigger them via IFTTT. And schedules do not fit my timetable..... Any suggestions.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
Solved my own problem.... The camera concerned, in Armed mode wound the sensitivity right back to 1%. Now nothing triggers it. I then have a scheduled/ custom mode which use that camera at night.
Whilst on the subject, Arlo widget's for Armed Disarmed custom and scheduled mode. Would be good. IFTTT almost do it, but can not access schedule or custom modes.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SallyC
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am also using IFTTT as a work-around to the geofencing bug.  I don't think you have any choice in the IFTTT Arlo applet but to use the Arm mode when exiting an area.   The only thing you can do is edit the Arm mode and edit it to modify the camera you want - either tell it to do nothing, or whatever.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's no way to remove or disarm a camera in the Armed mode. It's a default mode used more for getting newbies going and for troubleshooting so limited editing options are available. I understand that IFTTT doesn't get to use custom modes which makes it hard to customize.

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
Solved my own problem.... The camera concerned, in Armed mode wound the sensitivity right back to 1%. Now nothing triggers it. I then have a scheduled/ custom mode which use that camera at night.
Whilst on the subject, Arlo widget's for Armed Disarmed custom and scheduled mode. Would be good. IFTTT almost do it, but can not access schedule or custom modes.
SallyC
Apprentice
Apprentice

@shoustonnzwrote:

That's a creative work-around.  Good idea.

The IFTTT applet really solved two problems for me.  First, using just the Arlo app, I'd find Arlo didn't seem to realize "Sally has left the building!" 🙂  Second, even when it did, half the time, for some reason, it still didn't turn on the away mode specified.  I'd get a notice it was in Away mode, but the app would still say Disarmed.   Using IFTT and the two IFTTT Arlo applets, it now seems to get both those things right, all the time.

Why the original Arlo app can't do this, but their IFTTT applets can, is a mystery to me.  But I'm staying with IFTT now because I know it works.

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
False alarm..... NOT SOLVED....
Turns out 1% sensitivity does still trigger cars driving past. Why is "Do Nothing" greyed out.
I want this camera to do nothing during daylight hours.
Forced to turn off cameras as needed now.
SallyC
Apprentice
Apprentice

@shoustonnzwrote:
False alarm..... NOT SOLVED....
Turns out 1% sensitivity does still trigger cars driving past. Why is "Do Nothing" greyed out.
I want this camera to do nothing during daylight hours.
Forced to turn off cameras as needed now.

Sorry to hear that.   Can you select Armed, then Edit the Rule for the camera you want to change,  then tell it to Do Nothing if motion or sound is detected?   That wouldn't do everything you want, but maybe it would help.

One thing that I hope Arlo programmers hear from this, is we would like the abilty, in the Arlo IFTTT applet, to select which Mode it uses.

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
That would be good. Or even Arlo own widget's for modes. Why use 3rd party.
Give the customer the flexibility we want. Leave the default modes for those that want that.