Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
BadDay4u
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am needing to upgrade my router (7 years old now) and I am thinking that I want to go with the Orbi Home WI-FI system. I am wondering if anyone has this router, and is using it with the Arlo Pro? Are you having issues with the cameras disconnecting etc.? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BadDay4u wrote:

I am needing to upgrade my router (7 years old now) and I am thinking that I want to go with the Orbi Home WI-FI system. I am wondering if anyone has this router, and is using it with the Arlo Pro? Are you having issues with the cameras disconnecting etc.? Thanks.

As Jeff mentioned, I'm running an Orbi router with one satellite.

First all i can say,  it is a GREAT improvement over my old router.... The main unit has a very good signal by itself and with the satellite, it covers all the weak spots on the far side of the home. ( My sat is about 35 ft from the main unit )

( mind that the Orbi is a 'star' type network... the Orbi main is the central unit and you can put out satellites that connect to it )

Nice is that the satellites are like extenders ( with 4 ethernet ports ) but the main unit has a stand alone backbone channel for data flow to the sats in addition to the 2.4 and 5ghz channels... this stand alone channel allows massive data thruput to the sats..

Also all the units have the same SSID/paswword so when you roam in the house you don't have to switch from one network ( like an extender ) to another

As to the cameras... remember that Arlo/ Arlo Pro cameras connect to the base not the home wifi, With the Orbi, you can place a second base right off the satellite ethernet port to expand the actual Arlo camera coverage. So, I haven't seen any differences there except some of the cameras when closer to the sync'ed bases obv get a better connection ( mine were pretty well centered to the base before )

I have seen an improvement with my Q camera as now it is closer to a satellite running on 5ghz... no dropouts there

If you have any other questions , feel free.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Orbi looks excellent. You'll still have to plug your base station in via ethernet cable to one of the orbi units though. Don't think it'll affect camera disconnection unless it's because the camera is too far from the base and you'll be moving the base closer or if the internet speed is too slow

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

TomMac has an Orbi with various cameras.  I'm sure he'll jump in here with his success story.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BadDay4u wrote:

As Jeff mentioned, I'm running an Orbi router with one satellite.

First all i can say,  it is a GREAT improvement over my old router.... The main unit has a very good signal by itself and with the satellite, it covers all the weak spots on the far side of the home. ( My sat is about 35 ft from the main unit )

( mind that the Orbi is a 'star' type network... the Orbi main is the central unit and you can put out satellites that connect to it )

Nice is that the satellites are like extenders ( with 4 ethernet ports ) but the main unit has a stand alone backbone channel for data flow to the sats in addition to the 2.4 and 5ghz channels... this stand alone channel allows massive data thruput to the sats..

Also all the units have the same SSID/paswword so when you roam in the house you don't have to switch from one network ( like an extender ) to another

As to the cameras... remember that Arlo/ Arlo Pro cameras connect to the base not the home wifi, With the Orbi, you can place a second base right off the satellite ethernet port to expand the actual Arlo camera coverage. So, I haven't seen any differences there except some of the cameras when closer to the sync'ed bases obv get a better connection ( mine were pretty well centered to the base before )

I have seen an improvement with my Q camera as now it is closer to a satellite running on 5ghz... no dropouts there

If you have any other questions , feel free.

Morse is faster than texting!
spewak
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wholeheartedly agree with TomMac!

I installed the Orbi Home wifi system and my Arlo's work seamlessly. I just installed two Arlo Pro's and the Basestation and they just work fantastically. The placement of my Arlo Pro camera in front of my house had to be thought out as the distance to the Base Station was greater than the signal would allow. The overall ease of installing both Netgear products was very easy. The coverage of the Orbi makes it all possible.

Superpop
Star
Star

I have the Arlo Pro and Orbi WIFI.  Both work great.  Costco has the 3 pack of Orbi's for 399.00 here in Washington state.