Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Shammy
Star
Star

Why does my camera night infrared come on when I have the camera set to off?

1,152 REPLIES 1,152
Pocohenna
Aspirant
Aspirant

So how do we know when Netgear updates our firmware?

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I would assume they will announce when the production firmware is updated. I asked for the trial and got a private message confirming it was updated
dhung
Apprentice
Apprentice
I would like to have the trial firmware loaded too,.

One of my 3 camera dies just two days after I charged the battery to 100%.

At first I thought it was the battery going bad, but after I cycle through all three batteries on other cameras, just this one camera have excessive battery drian. It can goes off line in just two days, assume the mid May firmware update caused it.

I was recommending Arlo system to family and friends since I got my first system last year, but with recent major firmware bugs (Geofencing issue in April, now IR and Battery Drian) it's so embarrassing for those friends whom bought the system that I recommended.
HelloHelloP
Guide
Guide
Same for me
Last time i charged the batteries they lasted 6 months
Now 2 weeks
Disaster!
DreamsinCali
Tutor
Tutor
I wrote them and they asked for my email fr some trial, which I have yet to see. I got mine at Costco getting ready to take the back.
I told Arlo that what if I want to go away for a few days, it means I'll have no security if the batteries die, and that their product does not give me that peace of mind for protection for my home. It's getting ridiculous!
DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

The base station field trial firmware test has completed with successful results, and we are releasing the firmware to production. For more information, see the announcement.

Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks, I hope there is a lessons learned and a RCA after this major mess your left with your customers for over a month!
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

The annoucement say firmware update at 2-4am pst today, which is 5-7am for me. So we should be updated now. Does anyone know what the new firmware version number is? (or the old). I currently have 1.10.0.7_21310.

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Thats the new one. The numbers you listed. I had the trial
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Perfect. Thanks @Wklovelace3. And during your testing with the trial, when you turned the cameras off, the IR and battery usage were normal?

If so, I'm going to change my smartthings routine back to turning the cameras off (and have Arlo Pilot change the Mode to my custom home mode as well).

Thyg0d
Apprentice
Apprentice
So it's not for Europe then?
Mine has been on and I'm still on firmware 1.092.0.13_19715?
ioma
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in Greece and it supposed that i must "receive" the updat but unfortunately no update for me

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yes. Everything went back to normal for me. Off disarmed armed. I tried everything. Im only losing 2 or 3% a day now and thats 10 hours of videos (50+ 15 seconds) and off at night
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Great thanks for the info.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

I restarted my Base and it prompted all my camera to update Base.. The resulted firmware came out to 1.10.0.7_21310.

My Cam's firmware is 1.092.0.13_19715 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New Base station firmware has been released that should help resolve the issue being discussed here. Check your base station firmware to be sure you are up to date with the latest available version.

Take a look here for more information on this firmware: Firmware Release Scheduled 6/21 to Address IR Rapid Battery Drain and Modes and Schedules Issues

JamesC

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My system seems to have survived the firmware update.  I rebooted my three base stations, and 9 out of 10 cameras were ok, had 1 that would not connect, so had to take it down and pop out the battery and then pop it back in, then it would connect... but when I furst tried to do a live feed, it said it could not connect to the media server.  I turned it off, waited, then turned it back on and it was then ok.

Incidentally, hareware version is H11 on this cam, which is the hardware version I've had more trouble with.  H8 cams don't seem to be ask cranky.

IR lights do not come on now, this is a bonus... but is the camera actually OFF when I turn it OFF?  Jury is still out on that one, but I'm sure you all knew I'd say something like that.

Will report back on battery drain and other issues after I've used it a while.  Will hold breath until I've used system for a couple of weeks after new firmware....

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

BTW - thank you to the devs who put in many hard hours to rework the firmware.  You guys only do what Netgear tells you to do, after all, being in their employ... so I don't blame you devs, natrually, I blame Netgear for not having tested the fateful firmware that had borked everything, and I blame Netgear for not rolling back to a usable firmware version when it had quickly become apparent a multitude of customers were have numerous and grave issues.

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Noticed since I have charging batteries a lot that the VMA1000 mount is rusting. Had to use a wrench to break thread today. Pretty basic engr to design mount:/camera insert that doesn't rust after six months of use ... seems it not just the software side of Arlo that needs to invest in enhanced engr capability!!!
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I have the new firmware and have Arlo integrated with SmartThings. I can report that everything is working as it should be. I have SmartThings change the Arlo mode to a custom mode when I'm home and Armed when away using Arlo Pilot and I have SmartThings turn the cameras on/off via a routine. Battery drain, IR lights, motion detection is all normal again.

Pocohenna
Aspirant
Aspirant

I restarted my base unit and it updated to the new firmware, however when I look at Device Info for my camera it is still the old firmware.  Do I need to do something to update the camera firmware?  I am not a sophisticated user, just have a base unit and single camera.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Only the base firmware was updated. Camera firmware remains the same.

Pocohenna
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  It is so nice to have a “community” to help.

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

After new firmware, I still have batteries stuck at 100% that should in no way be 100%.  So, appears correct battery percentage remainging is still not being accurately reported...

ustgirl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi DawnM~

Can you please provide an update on when this battery issue will be resolved? I have been having the issue for a while and it looks like your original response was from 6/4. I would like to know when I can start using my cameras again rather than hoping the issue is fixed and going through a bunch more batteries. Thanks.

NEVER MIND... I read the above messages. Going to try and set up my camera again and hope my battery lasts more than a day.