Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I know battery life depends on certain specifics but I still dnt understand y my arlo pro is 50%?

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
KRJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

12 REPLIES 12
steve_t
Master Master
Master

It's not just recording and live view time either. Every time you log into the app, it polls the cameras.
How many recordings did the camera do in the last 2 days and how long are they recording for?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Live view and recording use the same amount of power...

Armed uses less and Disarmed uses almost null

Normal , within spec usage (<5 mins per day ) , should get you 3 months +/-.

My Pro was last charged on 03/30 and currently sits at 34%... It doesn't get viewed and is armed only a few times a day during week.... that's 4 months, so it is possible to get a good battery life.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
KRJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
It recorded like 8 or 9 times for only a few seconds. Longest was 3 mins. Yesterday I watched from 9am - 8 pm and it's always armed. If all of those things eat up the battery life it's a concern because in my case I hav to manually monitor the camera becus it's not located to pick up motions. I do not want anyone to get to it where they can take it becus I dnt think the screw in mount is safe more over the magnet. I believe someone can easily get behind it and unscrew or pull it off the magnet if it's low enough to pick up motions. This is a town home setting so people are always coming and going.
KRJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Based upon what I hear people say the camera does for them on a daily basis and how long it lasted before they have to recharge. I really believe something is not right with mine or am I just down right doing something wrong?
ice_man
Star
Star

first and foremost, if you are mounting this camera outdoors and in high traffic area, I would strongly suggest getting an outdoor mount instead of the indoor magnetic one. At least on the outdoor "screw in mount" they would have a hard time getting your camera of the mount and may give you ample time to do something about it...

steve_t
Master Master
Master

You might want to look at an outdoor power adapter or a solar panel charger if you're using it in high traffic areas

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/outdoor-charging-cable.aspx

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/solar-panel.aspx#VMA4600-100NAS

KRJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah, we're about to get the screw in mount. Thanks
KRJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the info. Something to consider.
The thing is. I'm sure the company did their test and trials. They know what works and what doesn't. It's just cost on top of cost for additional stuff and I dnt think that's right. They shud just throw everything in the package just incase and have one cost becus u never really knw until u get the product but clearly it's just a money making thing. #typicalbusinesscatch
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If they did an Arlo 4 camera pack with 4x outdoor power adapters AND 4x solar panels, first it would cost a whole heap more, secondly you'd only use either the power adapter OR the solar panel. Best to allow people to buy the components they need. Many people don't use any external power source. Many people use their cameras indoors so use the included charger full time. Horses for courses. Everyone has different applications so it's easier and cheaper to just allow people to get what suits their own needs. It's the businesses that include everything half of which you will never use that are ones you should accuse of being out just to make money

ajh09
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Pro HD Model No VMS4230

Hardware- VNB400r3

Firm ware- Up to date 

Hi,  I'm a new user and have been reading much of your post. I just inswtalled the camera system (about 4 days ago
) and one of my batteries are already at 49%. I was doing a lot of live viewing and working out postion kinks. I now have the system disarmed. My questions are as follow:

From your post, I see that you have >5 min. per day. Is that live viewing or recording? 

When I turn the camera off in app (everyone has left for the day), does it save batter life or should I just leave it on as it doesnt matter, once its disarmed and not recording?

What else would you recommend? 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@KRJ-- If you're viewing live video from 8am - 9pm each day your going to for sure kill the battery. The system is not designed to be used that way, at least not while on batteries. Either run a arlo power cord to your camera, try a solar panel, or think about getting a system that's made to do what you want. A POE system with a dedicated DVR is probably what you need for 13+ hours of live viewing

@ajh09 -- Pretty sure the 5 minutes is live viewing and recording. Not sure how they came up with 5 minutes as normal use.

I use smarthtings to turn some of my cameras off when I'm home. Since I started thruning them off, instead of disarm and leaving them on, my battery seems to be lasting longer. I have no scientific proof, but it seems to me turning them off helps with battery life.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The 5 minutes spec is just to get you a number for battery life.  Use it a lot less and get more life, use it more and you get less life.

Turning the camera off via On/Off switch in Settings, My Device or using the Disarmed mode will produce the maximum results. Do NOT turn off the base - the cameras will keep trying to connect and will deplete the batteries with no useful results.