Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
sk175
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you configure auto-update on arlo pro base station? I don't see any option on setting/base station..... The model number of base station is VMB4000r3 which is not in model drop down.

Many thanks ain advance!

10 REPLIES 10
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

What do you mean, "configure auto-update"?  If you mean the Arlo PRO base station or Arlo PRO cameras, those update the firmware automatically as necessary and do not require any special configuration.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In the older SW back before Jan 2016, there was an option to turn on/off the updates ( if this is what you mean )

This was removed at the change over and all SW updates became automatic...as a rule they are pushed out at night with normal server housekeeping.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
sk175
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac, thank you that makes sense. My base station is not getting updates. While looking at the community page, I learned that there is a configuration which needs to be turned on in order to receive updates. Which it seems is no longer needed. The push are automatic.

I have base station and camera installed for two days/night but still have not received the auto updates. I just bought these devices (base station and 3 camera kit) two days ago. The video and audio quality is poor and I was told by support that I need to upgrade the firmware.

Already wasted so much of time on this very high priced, 'no hassale' and ready to go in minutes, system ;( 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

check the page for SW and check your versions of SW against the listing for lateset;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

Easiest way ( only way ) to "force" and update is to power button recycle the base... then wait overnight usu.

If it fails to do so it may require a reset of the base.  Mind that if your data thru put is slow,updates do have a problem at times.

Arlo Pro Camera 1.090.0.1_11011

Base Station FW 1.8.2.4_10232

sk175
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again TomMac! Last night, per tech support advise, recycled the base station several times. Even I was asked to recycle modem, router along with base device. It didn't force the update.

The speedtest with hardwired ethernet shows a download speed if 30 MBPS and upload speed of 5 MBPS.

Also, I have reset the base to factory setting per tech support advise but no update. 

One of the community response states that it may take a few days to get the update. Not sure if thats true. How the updates know if a few days have passed from the day of installation? LOL.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

How the updates know if a few days have passed from the day of installation? LOL.

Don't know about days, but updates usu happen at at night ( 2 am for me ) with server housekeeping.

As to how do they know once request is sent,.... well your base is connected to their servers and they do run logs on the far end.

sk175
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update- the FW upgrades were not downloaed even after several days of connevtivity and after following all solutions provided by the tech support team. The final tech support suggestion was to either try on a different Network or return the device. Followed the advise and took it to a friend's place, Tried resetting to factory default and switching on and off. Nothing worked.

Next step is to return the device to the retailer. WHAT A PAIN......

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

Having no option of having control over updates is not a good idea. I have too many horror stories of hardwares being bricked from beta releases or official releases.

sk175
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agree Chillmiester......

A simple option to go to product webpage and download all updates, is required.

Would I recommend this "easy to setup, no hassle system" to anyone? Hmmmm

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sk175,

Some users were experiencing a DNS issue that would not allow updates to take place. This issue is now resolved. Are you still having trouble receiving the update or has your system completed it's firmware update?

JamesC