Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How does Arlo pro base station and cameras communicate

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ehongyu
Tutor
Tutor

I am wondering how the Arlo base station talk to the cameras. Do they talk to each other directly, or via the router?

If the two talked with each other via router, then in principle I can add a wireless extender to the router so that it can help the camera in a remote location to access the base station; Otherwise, I have to get a separated base station.

5 REPLIES 5
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Arlo Pro only talk directly with the base station. If you're having an issue with range, you can use a range extender to move the base station to a more centralised position in your house. If you need further than that, you'll have to get that second base station, which you can view and control from the one account but there is no cross triggering between systems

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The arlo base units when hooked into you router creates it's own wifi network ( 802.11 / 2.4 ghz ).

The camera will talk/connect only to the base unit via the wifi network created.

As mentioned, you can use an extender to move the base to a central location but the Arlo cameras won't link to the extender directly.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ehongyu
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, guys. Actually I did try to look for the base station network, but failed. Maybe it's a hidden wireless network?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No, it's not hidden and shows on on wifi scanners...

but there is no access into the base ( not a full router )

The name usu shows up as Netgearxxx or similar

If you have android, there's a free wifi analyzer app thats pretty good for checking signal level for cameras

Morse is faster than texting!
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The base station normally transmits its SSID and it's typically something like NETGEAR## where the ## is numbers