Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

USB connection and screw mount on Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
bigdaddybama
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the Arlo Pro system yesterday at our local Best Buy. I tried to mount it on an old camera mount with the screw thread mount but could not get the USB cable in for continuous power while screwed to my old mount. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mark

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

bigdaddybama wrote:

I just purchased the Arlo Pro system yesterday at our local Best Buy. I tried to mount it on an old camera mount with the screw thread mount but could not get the USB cable in for continuous power while screwed to my old mount. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mark

No... I ran into a similar thing trying to stick the camera on a metal case....there's not enough room to have the usb plug in and flush mount

I could see any mount that doesn't have about at least 1/2 inch clearance to hit the cable...

It does work on the full ball mount tho...tomorrow I'll test it on the outdoor Netgear mount and let you know.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
bigdaddybama
Aspirant
Aspirant

I appreciate the feedback. If you could try that on the outdoor mount that would be great. I am OK with my setup inside but i want to purchase another to replace my outdoor foscam. I want to use the outdoor mount and eventually the coming solar charger. 

Thanks,

Mark

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Mark... 

I tested the outdoor Netgear mount for you as below,

VMA1000_Outdoor_Mount_Front__Transparent.png

In order for the USB cable to be inserted you must remove the thumb screw...as it gets in the way 

I was able to use a regular nut of same thread to lock it down and just squeeze the cable by. But IMO not a great location for USB. More to bottom would have fixed the mount problem but then not allow it to sit on a shelf... best choice? got me, I wasn't asked 🙂

The Table/ceiling mount is fine as there is enough clearance under the full ball for the cable.

So, either a normal mount with a very small lock down nut or thumb wheel.

PS, tried on 2 other camera mounts I had and same problem...thumb wheel interferes

Morse is faster than texting!
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To me. That's a terrible oversight. Especially when they sell that mount as an option for the Arlo pro.

The thumb nut could probably be shaved off on one side to allow the USB cable.

Another oversight in my opinion is that they don't make the USB connection weatherproof.

One last thing is if the new skin is attached. It looks like it has a larger overhang on the hood if the assumed mounting is 0 degrees. If you mount 180 degrees the hood would be upside down.

If you install the skin 180 degrees then the access openings are on the opposite end.

Maybe I'm missing something but also an oversight and not designed for 180 degree mounting on a screw in ceiling mount outdoors.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I take back what I said about the mounting and 180 degrees.

It looks like the mounting is in the back of the camera now and not the top or bottom so that solves the skin issue since it will always be on in the correct orientation.

Sorry.

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
You get a new designed mount in with the camera multipacks, this has a redesigned lock nut 1/2 the size and fits brilliant on the new pros. I bought 2 extra mounts but run into the same problem your having, trying to explain all of this to Netgear support is like talking Chinese I'm afraid!