Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does the Arlo Pro app work if Netgear's website is down?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
roush
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does the Arlo Pro app work if Netgear's website is down?  Trying to learn how much functionality the system has locally with just the base station.

Thanks for any info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

roush wrote:

Does the Arlo Pro app work if Netgear's website is down?  Trying to learn how much functionality the system has locally with just the base station.

Thanks for any info.

The Pro model does pull much of the previous recordings from the servers use by the system...but It has the option of backup recording to the local usb drive that connects to the base  ( so if internet is down it still records )

But yes if the internet or the Amazon servers ( servers I believe Netgear uses ) are down you will have a much limited use

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

roush wrote:

Thanks for any info.

The Pro model does pull much of the previous recordings from the servers use by the system...but It has the option of backup recording to the local usb drive that connects to the base  ( so if internet is down it still records )

But yes if the internet or the Amazon servers ( servers I believe Netgear uses ) are down you will have a much limited use

roush
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, that helps.  I guess I should be more specific.  If my Internet is down (can't access the Netgear servers), will the mobile app allow me to stream from a camera, check the camera battery level, etc.?

Thanks again for any info. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Nope. While recording to the USB device continues, everything else requires Internet access. The only thing to help is a UPS/battery backup to keep the modem, router and base alive during a power outage. Internet access is a must.
roush
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer.  I don't want to try your patience but not even the local siren on the base station will work without internet access?  That seems a little extreme as far as reduced functionality without internet.  I know you didn't design the thing, you're just helping folks out and it's appreciated. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't have the PRO base hooked up now, but I do think the siren will function without internet if backup record is functioning.

Jeff?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I haven't tried having the siren set as part of the mode and then disconnecting the Internet. I would think that any other attempt to use the siren other than by physically pushing the button would fail but having it set in a mode would seem to still work. At an appropriate time, perhaps I can try that.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If local backup is active and the internet connection is lost, the Siren will still activate upon a camera being triggered by motion detection (providing the rule includes this instruction). 

JamesC

roush
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.  I appreciate you taking the time to answer.  You may have just sold me on the system.  Too bad you can't get a commission!

Thanks again.