Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Hooking arlo to WiFi hotspot

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Bridgway6
Initiate
Initiate
How do I hook up my arlo system to my att hotspot? I have a net hear extender and a net hear wireless router!
9 REPLIES 9
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Plug your base station into the Netgear wifi range extender, which should be connected to your hotspot. Why do you want it connected to your hotspot as opposed to your router?

Bridgway6
Initiate
Initiate
I was just stating what I do have to work with. If the router is necessary then I have one. If not necessary then I have an extender. Thought I was doing everything the videos I’ve watched told me to do. When I plug the extender up it does connect to the hotspot. When I plug the arlo base via Ethernet to the extender however it does not want to connect for some reason. When I go into my arlo app it can’t find any devices.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

When you plug your base station into the extender, is your phone also connected to the extender?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bridgway6 wrote:
I was just stating what I do have to work with. If the router is necessary then I have one.

Arlo systems need to be always connected to the internet to work properly.  So connecting via a hot-spot isn't a good option.

Wingbone
Aspirant
Aspirant
I only have Hotspot for Internet and no router. Do I understand correctly that the Arlo Pro 2 base unit cannot be used effectively with hotspot? Thank you for your help.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wingbone wrote:
I only have Hotspot for Internet and no router. Do I understand correctly that the Arlo Pro 2 base unit cannot be used effectively with hotspot? Thank you for your help.

Well, it does need to be connected with ethernet, and it basically always needs to be connected.

What device is running your hotspot?

Wingbone
Aspirant
Aspirant
StephenB, you asked to what device my hotspot is connected. It is in the window sill running on battery or plugged in to power. Wireless connection is furnished through C-Spire.
So I know of no device to which it is connected.
Thank you for your time.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wingbone wrote:
StephenB, you asked to what device my hotspot is connected. It is in the window sill running on battery or plugged in to power. Wireless connection is furnished through C-Spire.
So I know of no device to which it is connected.

I asked what device was running the hotspot - that is, what is the model of that gadget in the window.

Since you say C-Spire, I am thinking it is an R871 - which has no ethernet port.  Is that correct?

Assuming it is correct, you will need a way to connect the base station (which uses ethernet) to the hotspot.  That will require you to purchase a wifi extender of some kind (which does have ethernet out).  The Netgest EX3700 is one that should work, and is inexpensive.  You'd need to configure the extender to connect over wifi to the hotspot, and connect the ethernet port on the extender to the base station.

Wingbone
Aspirant
Aspirant
The device in the window is mobile hotspot R910. And it does not have Ethernet port.
So I will get the Netgear model you mentioned. Thank you.