Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
do2things
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am trying to cross trigger cameras, but no luck after looking at FAQs, manuals, and youtube videos.   My main menu does not have a "mode" setting as shown in many tutorials.    I can go to "routines" > "modes" > "arm away" and see my devices & add a rule.  When I select a camera, it offers several options including push a notification, trigger a light (if I had a bridge) or trigger the siren, etc.

Nowhere do I find an option to trigger another camera.  What am I missing?

Equipment includes VMC3030 and  VMC4030 cameras and VMB4500 base.  No subscription.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas on where to look

screenshot.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
do2things
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have it working!  It turns out the web app and the phone app are slightly different.  I was not able to set it up on the web, but got it to work using the mobile app.   Now the camera with the best view is triggered by a camera with the best proximity detection.  Thank you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I realise this is not helpful but you did choose to upgrade the arlo app.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations 

do2things
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, Danny Bear.

I'm not sure what you mean "you did choose to upgrade the Arlo app." 

I have only had the system for about a month and am using the my.arlo.com web app.  Does this keep me from cross-triggering the cameras?

do2things
Aspirant
Aspirant

I get as far as the rules > select device > add an action . . . but the menu does not have a triggering option even though the manuals and instructions say my cameras have this capability.

Hope this explains my issue better.  Thank you.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Under the old mobile app experience, the web app reflects the old app that allows you to cross trigger cameras.

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them 

Arlo has rolled out it’s new app experiment at the start of this year to facilitate the new arlo home base product, although it was incomplete and reverted a lot of the original app features.

IMHO instead of halting the new app experiment until it was ready they started forcing all new arlo accounts to default to the new version and encouraging existing users to convert without a warning of reduced features and omissions except to say that you can’t go back, and that everyone will eventually have to start using it.

If you don’t know what you missed then no biggy, just put up with what you got.

I’m still using the old app experience thank goodness so can still do lots of things new users can’t. 

do2things
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.  That explains a lot.  Trying to navigate the current app using outdated instructions can be very <challenging>  

I do hope I can find some way to link the cameras, though - it would be a very useful feature.

Again, I appreciate the insight.  You are always helpful in your responses - thanks!

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I don’t usually have good news for people lately, hence some of my posts mysteriously disappear after midnight.

To help some more you may want to look for a button saying add device when editing the camera rules for what other device you want to activate. This usually points you to the  devices list that should also show the other cameras. I can’t point you closer since I refuse to upgrade to the new app experiment until arlo pulls their finger out which I expect will be EOL for my camera’s anyway.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062049/How-do-I-set-up-cross-triggering-between-my-Arlo-cameras-and-my-Arlo-S... 

do2things
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have it working!  It turns out the web app and the phone app are slightly different.  I was not able to set it up on the web, but got it to work using the mobile app.   Now the camera with the best view is triggered by a camera with the best proximity detection.  Thank you.