Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
MelbFritz
Guide
Guide

Hi, there have been previous posts on here but they have been closed and so I can't ask questions there.  Has anyone managed to install a microUSB splitter so that one panel can charge two cameras?  I have a solar panel installed in the perfect location so it gets sun all day and I have two cameras close by, one on 24 hours a day, the other on during daylight hours.  The camera that the panel is connected to is at 100% charge constantly and so I'm thinking the panel might have enough capacity to top the other one up too...  Was thinking of something as simple as this - I assume the Arlo Pro connected is microUSB and has nothing proprietary in it?

s-l1600.jpg

20 REPLIES 20
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's not enough current available to make it work. These are trickle chargers and don't have the capacity to charge more than one camera.

MelbFritz
Guide
Guide

ok, thanks, I keep reading that and appreciate the feedback but I'd really like to know if someone has actually tried it and proven that it is the case.

Are the connectors standard microUSB?  If so I might have to invest in a splitter and some cable and try it once and for all.

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup, standard microUSB connectors. Good luck.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

IF you try it, don't forget to seal the port up well.... the solar connector has built in seal rings to prevent water intrusion

But as mentioned , so little output don't think it will charge both...but go ahead and try.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Rage801
Tutor
Tutor
Any updates? Mine reaches full 100% charge every morning in like an hour, I dont know why it wouldn't be able to power 2 cameras.
MelbFritz
Guide
Guide

No, not as yet.  The previous post said something about the solar panel cable having a good seal on it and so I need to get up on the roof to take a look at it.  Both cameras that I would like to charge get some weather exposure.

Rage801
Tutor
Tutor
Mine are located under the eve of the house and probably won't see any moisture at the usb plug but I do plan on using Dielectric grease like I did on my other cameras. That stuff works amazing, no problems with any of my solar panels. I just ordered my splitter yesterday so I'm going to give it a try in the next few days. When I wake up in the morning my camera is at 95% and by 10 in the morning it's up to 100% so I don't see why there's any reason it would not be able to charge two cameras
MelbFritz
Guide
Guide

Sound great, mine is the same, everything is protected and even in Melbourne on a wintery day mine the camera is already at 100%.  Please keep us posted assuming it all works I'd appreciate a link to the splitter and extension cable.  Thanks

MelbFritz
Guide
Guide

Hi, have you received your splitter yet and if so how is it all working?!

Thanks

Rage801
Tutor
Tutor
I received the cable but I have not had the time to set everything up yet. I plan on coming back here with an update soon
MelbFritz
Guide
Guide

Excellent, fingers crossed.  The splitters seem readily available but I'd also need an extension cable to run to one camera that's about 10m long, I wonder if that will be a problem...

krazykev101
Aspirant
Aspirant

the cables are not standard usb! I tried many to charge the batteries and only an OFFICIAL arlo CHARGING CABLE OR STATION WILL DO IT.

MelbFritz
Guide
Guide

OK, that's an interesting point, I hadn't thought of trying that but I will test out another non-Arlo cable here and let you know what I find, thanks

Rage801
Tutor
Tutor
Mine aren't standard usb but they are standard micro usb. The only difference I see is the arlo ones have plastic tabs on the end to hold the cord in. I charge mine ALL THE TIME WITH STANDARD MICRO USB
MelbFritz
Guide
Guide

Ye, I just tried a standard micro-USB plug and it works so who knows.  The solar panel plug does have this odd tab on it which I've never seen before...

IMG_8927.jpg

MelbFritz
Guide
Guide

Hi Rage801, any progress on this that you can share with us?
Thanks

earlw62
Initiate
Initiate

About 3-4 months ago I was researching this same question, and couldn't find anything online, however, I have tried a Micro USB splitter purchased from eBay without success. The Arlo USB is molded at a 90 degree to work integrally with the mounting base for the camera while sealing the opening as well, and the straight Micro USB splitter cable's molding that came with the one I purchased was too long and I could not bend it correctly...Plus I had to shave the molding off to get it into the back of the camera.

So, my first attempt at it wasn't successful, however, I have no doubt it will work to charge at least 2 cameras. I had a hard time finding the output of the solar panel, but I believe it to be at least 8 -10 watts, and I have a hard time believing that is not enough to charge, at least to 50-75% capacity, 2 camera's....And when I consider that my cameras function perfectly even at 8-10% charged I think they will be fine. I think this is not an option with Arlo strictly on a marketing decision to sell camera's at the MSRP of $79.99

I believe with a little tweeky of the male ends to fit snugly into the camera, and then use some dielectric grease to waterproof we should be fine. I will attempt this again, but look forward to someone else's success posted as well...I just haven't had the time to spend on it again yet.

Rage801
Tutor
Tutor
I had the same issue with the first cable so I ordered a different set so I didn't have to shave it down and the second set I ordered seems to fit perfectly but it's hunting season and fall cleanup so I haven't really had the chance to try it out yet. My camera only uses a few percent a day and a solar panel is able to fully charge it within a few hours of direct sunlight, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to charge 2 cameras fully
MelbFritz
Guide
Guide

Excellent feedback, thanks!  Gives me enough confidence to do some searching on eBay for a splitter and two micro-USB extension cables.  I need to run about 5m of cable to get to the second camera but hopefully that's not a significant length to cause any current drop. Thanks

earlw62
Initiate
Initiate

I think the most important element is to seal the connection at the back of the camera to keep out moisture, even if it's humidity, to prevent corrosion.

Looking forward to someone with time having success at this...Then maybe Arlo will get a clue that customers want this option.