Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
ksss11
Luminary
Luminary

Should warn people to get a POWERFUL router for these systems, as in one for LOTS of gaming, as we've replaced 2 since we've had this and no one until now (thanks, Comcast!) told us it was the Arlo that was making them go bad. Netgear Nighthawk was recommended,  among others.

Now we've had no WiFi for 2 days on cameras because of this.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's simply not true. The Arlo base uses Ethernet like any other wired device. The signal from the base to the camera can't hurt the router - it's just two sources of WiFi. If any of this were true, there would be a zillion issues like this since not everyone has the latest gaming router. I've had 3 or 4 routers set up next to my main base station with them nearly touching each other with no problems over the last 4 years.

The Comcast person knows not of which they speak.

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary

My question would be: what went bad with your routers.

Personally, I would never use any router provided by the internet company. 1-they use the cheapest equipment 2- no reason to lease said cheap equipment from them at the prices they charge.

Also sounds like there could be a bandwidth problem.

Also, was the router properly configured.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Going to have to say Comcast is blowing smoke too...

have used some cheap routers without issues.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ksss11
Luminary
Luminary

We decided not to get a new router. We just put ours where it was cooler and have had no further interruptions. 

we dont know a thing about configurations or anything about computers really so we tend to take 'pros' at their word. Sorry if our ignorance upset some of you.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't think anyone here was upset with you. If anything, we were upset with Comcast feeding you bogus information.

If the cooler location has worked for you, you may want to check for dust/hair/etc. blocking air vents in the router (I think you meant you placed the router in a cooler place).