Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing not disarming when I arrive home after iOS app update 2.7.9

hallinmas
Initiate
Initiate

I have Arlo Pro cameras and just today my geofencing is not working. I am home and the app says that I am "In Zone", yet it is saying that the system is armed. I also noticed that Arlo Smart is not filtering, and it is allowing all motion for one of my cameras to come through when it should only be People. Is there a bug? Any help would be appreciated. I already tried unplugging the base station and restarting. Thanks!

932 REPLIES 932
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Cassius wrote:

I gave up!   My system worked a while ago for both of our phones but now it’s been months and it still doesn’t recognize my wife’s phone.   I need to know and feel confident that the system is working as intended and advertised!  What’s the point of having a “security camera” if it’s not providing “security” ?  We should have to be spending our valuable time on this forum asking questions about how to make the system we invested in work like what they sold us.  

Anyway, we’re building a new house and when we move from this house i’ll Craigslist both 5 camera, 3 lights at both homes and cancel both my monthly subscriptions.  Luckily the system errors in the “on” mode and not “off”.  For a while at random, it wouldn’t turn on when we left, which basically rendered the system totally useless when we trusted that the Geofencing technology really worked.  Granted there’s probably million reasons why this failure “technically  would happen.  However, Netgear technically responsible and ultimately accountable for making the system work as intended!

Be sure to run Cat-6 to every likely camera location, even if you don’t plan to place a camera there now.  (Inside and outside). Run Cat-6 to every TV location, every closet that might be used as a wiring closet, desk and printer locations, phone locations, doorbell buttons, desks, mantles, ceiling locations that would make good spots for POE wireless Access Points.  Consider running “smurf tube” to closets, your “head end” and any home theater locations to allow for future technologies.  Also run conduit from your house to obvious camera locations in your yard facing your house driveway, paths, etc.  Install cedar or metal poles at those locations.

I did almost all of this and I would do even more if I were to start over.

85BearsFan
Apprentice
Apprentice

I haven't posted in a while because our internet was completely down from very early Monday morning until late afternoon on Thursday.  Obviously, while the internet was down, Arlo didn't work at all.  However, since the internet came back up on Thursday, geofencing has been working just fine at our house. I have no idea what changed.  I just hope it keeps working!

Cassius
Star
Star

Thank AncientGreek!  That is really good information!!  I think I’ll follow your plan.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Cassius wrote:

Thank AncientGreek!  That is really good information!!  I think I’ll follow your plan.

You are very welcome!

I’m currently placing a small Netgear switch at each of my TV and AV locations, so I can network everything possible by cable rather than Wi-Fi.  I prefer to reserve Wi-Fi for truly mobile devices.  I also use a UPS at each of those locations as well as for every network and security device.  My ideal setup there would be a Tesla Powerwall as a UPS for the entire house.  Currently Tesla doesn’t support recharging via a backup generator, so I’m restricted.  If I had a nice solar array, the Tesla solution would work with that.

Also, (if you haven’t already done it) consider speaker locations for either in-wall/ceiling speakers or power to speaker locations for Sonos or similar powered speaker solutions.  (Like above kitchen cabinets).  Of course, it wouldn’t hurt to drop a Cat-6 in those locations as well.

Our architect used SketchUp as his design tool and I was able to use the SketchUp viewer on my iPad to move around inside the model and choose security camera locations throughout the house.  That was pretty cool.  I could actually place my point of view in the camera locations and “see” what the camera would see in the 3D model.  Then I had Cat-6 run to those locations, so I can use POE powered cameras rather than battery powered.

It definitely helps of you have a designated location for your head-end for all low voltage equipment (TV, AV, Network, etc.). It takes a lot of time to plan for everything, but it is SO MUCH easier to do this during the design and build than at any future time, it is well worth the investment in time and brain cycles.

dhung
Apprentice
Apprentice

Noticed a new firmware got pushed out on the 30th Aug.....

New Firmware version=> 1.14.1.0_2909_bfcf6c2

Then boom!, both of my site's Geofencing doesn't work............ I've rebooted both Base Station now and keeping a close eye on them.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@dhung wrote:

Then boom!, both of my site's Geofencing doesn't work............ I've rebooted both Base Station now and keeping a close eye on them.

Mine appears to still be working.  Coincidentally, our Nest Camera Geofencing starting acting acting up recently.  

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@dhung wrote:

There's an enormous thread on the Pro 2 forums about this disaster of a new firmware, if you haven't yet go check that one out. I own Pro not Pro 2 but have still been posting on it to get Arlo's attention.

Rick1010
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had the same issue and only after reading all the comments on here with no luck, I realized I had to reregister my phone, now geofencing is working fine again