Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing map missing - Android

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
whs6211
Aspirant
Aspirant

A week ago, the Geofencing feature stopped working on my Arlo Pro. On my Android phone, the entire map is missing and replaced by a message which says "Google Play services are updating". I left it alone as I thought something was updating in the background and it will sort itself out.

It is still not working after a whole week. I have restarted the phone numerous times, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, rebooted the base station. Nothing seems to bring the map and Geofencing functionality back. Interestingly, it says my enabled device (my primary phone) is "Out of Zone". Could this be because the map isn't available? Any solution to this issue?

Screenshot_20180515-113007.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
whs6211
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just a further update on this issue and resolution.

The problem is caused by the latest update of Google Play Services which was rolled out about a week ago. There is a bug which seems to affect particularly Huawei phones, rendering map services unavailable to apps like Arlo, Uber, Grab etc. There has been a large number of complaints on the Play Store for this issue.

I found a workaround to this, by going into Settings>Apps>Google Play Services>Storage>Manage Space>Clear All Data.

After clearing all data from the app, Arlo geofencing map is back and seems to work.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had the Google app updated recently and that usually cause things to go squirrely right afterwards. However, restarting the phone should clear that out. Play Services happens frequently with few issues. Verify your OS and all apps are up to date. I'd also try turning location services off and back on to see if that helps.

whs6211
Aspirant
Aspirant

I managed to resolve the issue. I had to do a full reset on the phone which wipes out all stored data, and reinstall the apps again. Once Arlo was reinstalled, Geofencing map came back! Now it's working normally.

whs6211
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just a further update on this issue and resolution.

The problem is caused by the latest update of Google Play Services which was rolled out about a week ago. There is a bug which seems to affect particularly Huawei phones, rendering map services unavailable to apps like Arlo, Uber, Grab etc. There has been a large number of complaints on the Play Store for this issue.

I found a workaround to this, by going into Settings>Apps>Google Play Services>Storage>Manage Space>Clear All Data.

After clearing all data from the app, Arlo geofencing map is back and seems to work.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

whs6211,

Thanks for letting us know the resolution. I've marked your post as the solution so other users may benefit from it if they are experiencing the same issue.

JamesC