Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing does not recognise new iphone

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Linziaitken
Aspirant
Aspirant

The geofencing mode does list my partner's new iphone 7 as an enabled device. The iphone 7 has given the arlo app permission to access its location, and this has been confirmed in the phones settings. I have also tried widening the radius, and have also deleted and re-installed the app however neither has solved the issue. Any suggestions on how to get this device listed as an enabled device?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MattSp,

It sounds like this could be due to special characters in the iPhone's name. By default the iPhone will be named something like "JamesC's iPhone". Some users have reported having issues with the special characters. Try renaming the iPhone to something like this: JamesCiPhone

Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I think someone found a workaround being delete the app from your partner's phone, reinstall the app, login to your partner's phone with your credentials first, then logout, then login as them. Hopefully, that sorts out your partner's geofencing recognition

Linziaitken
Aspirant
Aspirant
We were logging in to the app using the same email address (each logging in from our own devices). Will this matter?
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The system will get confused. Your partner should have their own account and be Granted Access but first they will need to log in as you (the primary account holder) and then login as themselves. 

MattSp
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have tried this tips. It finds my Android phone but won't find my partner's iphone. It sort of appears for a brief second when you you at enabled devices and then disappears.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MattSp,

It sounds like this could be due to special characters in the iPhone's name. By default the iPhone will be named something like "JamesC's iPhone". Some users have reported having issues with the special characters. Try renaming the iPhone to something like this: JamesCiPhone

Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

MattSp
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. This worked, the iphone was then found. Combining this fix with logging in on the iphone with my primary arlo account fully fixed the problem. Thanks for your help.
BPFJR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Removing the special characters in iPhone names solved my problems. Thank you!