Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
AlmightyJon
Guide
Guide

This is my first night using these cameras, only placed one on the exterior of home and was thinking I might buy one or two more.

Arlo Pro during rain Clip on Youtube

Umm...so how the heck would this footage be useful to identify an incident in my driveway w/ one of these parked vehicles if someone was actually to vandalize or break-in or steal them?

After Rain - much clearer

And the clips I uploaded (which I downloaded from Arlo), are only 360p?? Are these not 780p or something?

7 REPLIES 7
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary
I agree, somethings not right. I get nothing like that on my outside camera's. during rain. Hopefully somebody here has a answer. Just a comment though. With that camera pointing towards that small tree in front of it, don't be surprised if you get false activations every time those branches blow in the wind. and set it off.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be that your camera lens got coated with water although I've seen more like droplets rather than a smear.  That light is an issue - I'd be relocating the camera to avoid having such a bright object so close, destroying contrast.  Yes, the "after rain" video looks much better but it's a trouble spot that should be avoided.

As for the resolution, that's set in Settings, My Devices, your camera., Video Settings.  Best is 720p, optimized is 640p and best battery life is 320p.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Rain drops at time can cause light to bloom as shown.. Most of the time you can tuck the camera under an eve to prevent...or change angle away from light

As to the tree, yes, come spring much of the view will be blocked.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I might try RainX on my one completely exposed camera...in rain storms ...I get more of blurry water droplets that block the view, when it clears up...it's fine.

trayes77
Star
Star
You could also pick up the skin cover for your camera. It had a hood that extends past the camera lense to prevent water from going onto the lense. The skins are made by Netgear, cost $24.99, and come in a pack of 3. They only come in black.
AlmightyJon
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I am certainly aware of the tree, and what happens when it flourished. I just threw that exterior one up last night while my grill was preheating, and didnt have time to cut those branches back. The sleeve + rainex could make for a solution, Im not sure I will be able to move the cam to a different location and get the coverage I want.

I was not expecting it to perform so poorly out the box when its marketed as water resistant, indoor/outdoor, etc

The suggestions and community are great here, and after 24 hours the buyers remorse is dwindling 🙂

watchdog99
Luminary
Luminary

these cameras are great. i must admit that neither of my 3 cameras are completly exposed (under eaves) they have performed flawlesly.

i only had to swap one froom outside to inside  to eliminate the offline issue and all has been well since.