Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
1995Cran
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased the Arlo Pro and Base Station, for a Remote Cabin, 6 weeks ago, that has a DSL Line(1.7 Mps Download).

We liked the idea of Wireless, the Camera is mounted High in a Tree.  It has detected and recorded Motion well for 6 Weeks, until March 30, 2017.

At that time, I attempted to check the 'Live' camera, from my iphone.  Arlo stated: 'A firmware update is required for your base station and camera'.  I proceeded to 'update' according to the Prompts.  Since the 'Firmware' Upgrade and attempts, nothing works.

Everytime, "Upgrade failed".  Called Tech Suppprt twice.  We will be Sending a Firmware Upgrade, in the middle of the Night, between 3 and 5 am.

Still not working.  Tried turning camera 'On & Off', 'Unmounting, Mounting', etc...  Nothing.

My Main Issue with Net Gear, at this time:  Lack of Respect for the Customer.  Firmware Updates should be on a Volunteer Basis!  Net Gear Tech told me, it was to fix 'False Alarms'.

The ARLO PRO system was working fine.  I had 'NO' issues with False Alarms.  Forcing an Upgrade(won't work) upon anybody, for any reason, will be the demise of this Company.

As a customer, I should be given the ability, to weigh the Pros and Cons of Upgrades.  Not all 'Upgrades' are beneficial.  I'd rather have a system that works, I was 'Downgraded' without be given the opportunity to 'Opt Out'.

Any insights into fixing this problem?

Thanks, John.

19 REPLIES 19
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You missed telling us your upload speed, which is more important than the download speed. Since the download speed is slow, your upload speed likely is below the 1Mbps minimum, causing your update issue. I would take the system ho e or somewhere with higher speeds and plug it in to get the updates completed. Then return the system to the remote site and see if it then works as you need. You may need to reduce the video quality to where your upload speed is adequate.
Jobowe
Star
Star

I have a nearly identical setup and situation going on.  Started a case with Netgear yesterday, still no resolution.  I have other hardware that upgrades fine in the same location (Amazon Echo Dot, Smartthings Hub, etc.).  I now have a $650 system that worked great until March 30th when an automatic upgrade was pushed and now I have a useless system.  Driving 550 miles to move my Arlo Hub to someplace with a faster internet connection is NOT an acceptable solution!  I ran a speed test and both my upload and download speed were above the "RECOMMENDED" (notice it does not say REQUIRED) 1 mbps connection speed.  Still waiting for Netgear to actually help solve their problem!  Extremely frustrating.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It may not be speed related for you. The combination of a firmware update and server problems has caused a variety of issues. It won't help you right now but a combination of both a WeMo switch (or similar) would allow you to power cycle the base remotely and a UPS/battery backup for your modem, router and base so power loss isn't a big issue would be a good step for a remote installation.
Jobowe
Star
Star

As i mentioned to you in the thread I started regarding this issue, I have both a Wemo switch and UPS on my system.  Unfortunately neither of those solve this problem or are required by Netgear to have an operational system.

BCSO98
Star
Star

I agree!  The last firmware made my false detetction worse.  They are sending me my 3rd replacement camera in attempt to fix the problem which I'm sure it won't.  Great product if it would actually work right.

1995Cran
Aspirant
Aspirant

Very Remote Location.  Three Options:  Satelite, Cellular or DSL.  We went with DSL.   The DSL Speed of 500Kps Upload Speed has been Great.  We get videos Uploaded to Net Gear Cloud, within a Minute of Motion.  The Firmware Upgrade is so disrespectful.

Yes, I now understand, I need to drive 5 hours each way, to FIX something that wasn't broken.  It has to do with Respect, or the Lack thereof.

As an owner of Arlo Pro, I thought I was purchasing a Piece of Equipment, like a Camera, or a Car, etc..

But, what I actually purcashed was a License, to use something according to the 'Will' of NetGear.  If Netgear wants to Force a Firmware Upgrade, you must comply.  But why?  Why not make it optional?  Then warn of the Risk, that might take place?  

The Medical Field calls it 'Informed Consent'.  Net Gear, your just displaying arrogance.  Nice Product, bad manners.  Make all Frimware Upgrades Optional!

nazman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been prompted to conduct a firmware update as well. Nothing I have done has ending in a successful download/update. I have spent nearlyl $1,000 in Arlo merchandise and am very frustrated. I have used every method possible to resolve the problem. I am open for any solutions. Don't tell me my download speed is too slow...it's faster than most.

Frustrated!

nazman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been prompted to conduct a firmware update as well. Nothing I have done has ending in a successful download/update. I have spent nearlyl $1,000 in Arlo merchandise and am very frustrated. I have used every method possible to resolve the problem. I am open for any solutions. Don't tell me my download speed is too slow...it's faster than most.

Frustrated!

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

jguerdat wrote:
You missed telling us your upload speed, which is more important than the download speed. Since the download speed is slow, your upload speed likely is below the 1Mbps minimum, causing your update issue. I would take the system ho e or somewhere with higher speeds and plug it in to get the updates completed. Then return the system to the remote site and see if it then works as you need. You may need to reduce the video quality to where your upload speed is adequate.

Upload speeds do not affect a firmware download. The upload recommendation is for video uploads to the Netgear cloud. Regardless, a 1 Mbps download is adequate and should not cause a firmware update to fail. I do not know if Netgear has a validation check before it starts installing, but if they don't then it's possible that it was corrupted.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Multiple posts by JamesC, a Netgear employee, have stated that upload speeds do, indeed, affect firmware updates.  It hasn't been explained why that's the case and seems to be a change from previous operation but that's the explanation.  We can argue the point endlessly but if Netgear has somehow made the requirement it's beyond our control.

Jobowe
Star
Star

I disagree that it is "beyond our control", since it even today is not listed as a technical requirement ny Netgear to run the Arlo Pro system.  I'll be damned if I'm going to throw away all of my hard earned cash because they somewhere along the way changed a requirement and didn't bother telling anyone.

On a related note, I'm now two days into having a case open on this issue.  To this point I've received one communication back from Netgear.  It basically says that I need to power cycle my network which I've done multiple times.  They also asked for my network speeds, upload and download, which I provided.  Ironically, both were above 1 Mbps...  and the system is still down and unusable...day 5!

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

jguerdat wrote:

Multiple posts by JamesC, a Netgear employee, have stated that upload speeds do, indeed, affect firmware updates.  It hasn't been explained why that's the case and seems to be a change from previous operation but that's the explanation.  We can argue the point endlessly but if Netgear has somehow made the requirement it's beyond our control.

Saying so doesn't make it a fact. Unless someone from Netgear can logically explain in detail how upload speeds affect a firmware update it's nothing more than bad advice and creates a netgative customer experience.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your choice - believe it or not.  Various users here have relocated their systems, performed the firmware updates successfully and returned the system to the original location to be able to use it with proper operation.

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

jguerdat wrote:

Your choice - believe it or not.  Various users here have relocated their systems, performed the firmware updates successfully and returned the system to the original location to be able to use it with proper operation.

That doesn't confirm that it has anything to do with the upload.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

To add a bit of clarity to the discussion...upload speed does not directly influence firmware updates (I apologize for incorrectly suggesting that it does).

Slow internet speeds can however cause the firmware update to fail. Poor upload speeds often indicate a poor internet connection in general (download and upload) and this is a question support will use to isolate the issue.

As jguerdat says above, there are many cases where users have relocated their system to a faster connection and resolved the issue.

For those still having issues downloading the firmware update, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Jobowe
Star
Star

Thanks JamesC.  I have had a case open for two days now and can't get anyone to respond to me.  Tomorrow will be day 6 of a dead system.

1995Cran
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is Nothing Close to this Location with a Faster Speed.

Drive 10 Hours Round Trip, Remove Everything (Base Station & Camera), Drive to a Public Library, Pug Evreything-In, Work the Problem, Drive Back to Location, Re-Install(In a Tree), then Drive Home.  Three Days assuming some problems.

The Only Response Net Gear should have:  Sorry for the Inconvenience, we will make Firmware Upgraeds Optional in the Future.

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

The only response they should have is yes we will send the option to for the customers to choose to upgrade almost immediately.

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

To add a bit of clarity to the discussion...upload speed does not directly influence firmware updates (I apologize for incorrectly suggesting that it does).

Slow internet speeds can however cause the firmware update to fail. Poor upload speeds often indicate a poor internet connection in general (download and upload) and this is a question support will use to isolate the issue.

As jguerdat says above, there are many cases where users have relocated their system to a faster connection and resolved the issue.

For those still having issues downloading the firmware update, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

I'm speaking general here, but even if you only have a 256 Kbps connection there should be an integrity check in place that is no different than a 50 Mbps connection. The only difference is the amount of time it takes to download the file. With that said the fact that Netgear forces you to upgrade the firmware creates a negative customer experience. At a minimum Netgear should offer offline updates via the usb port.