Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

If I decide to put the camera against the window looking out, can it be automatically turned it off?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mkkt
Aspirant
Aspirant

1) If I decide to put the cameras against the window looking out, can it be automatically turned it off at sunset because the night camera won't work through the glass? I would only use the cameras when it is light out.

I just received this system and I am trying it out. I don't want to put holes in my exterior of my house and don't have any other good place to use these other than at the window sill, with the lens touching or slightly angled against the window.

Also, I don't want to risk having the cameras stolen if outside. They are so expensive that I feel with whatever mount there is, that it isn't secure enough to quickly grab and go, or give a few turns to unscrew and take it. 

2) Is there a way to manually record as I am observing an action live?

3) I was considering getting the other brand window suction mount, but I would be always concerned that the suction will give way and the camera will get damaged. It is too expensive to take a chance on that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

1. You can use a schedule but it needs scheduling by time. There's no inbuilt way to have them change modes at sunset

2. Yes. When in Live View, hit the record button (solid circle inside a circle icon)

3. I wouldn't use a suction mount as a permanent solution. They also seem to come unstuck over time

Check out other threads here that talk about different ways to secure the camera. Obviously if someone really wants to steal your camera, they will no matter what kind of security. Something like a tether will make it difficult enough that you're likely to catch their face on camera unless they intentionally obfuscate it

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
steve_t
Master Master
Master

1. You can use a schedule but it needs scheduling by time. There's no inbuilt way to have them change modes at sunset

2. Yes. When in Live View, hit the record button (solid circle inside a circle icon)

3. I wouldn't use a suction mount as a permanent solution. They also seem to come unstuck over time

Check out other threads here that talk about different ways to secure the camera. Obviously if someone really wants to steal your camera, they will no matter what kind of security. Something like a tether will make it difficult enough that you're likely to catch their face on camera unless they intentionally obfuscate it

mkkt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. I noticed that night vision can be turned off. Which I can look outside through the camera now through the glass, even though it is somewhat dark.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yup. If you leave night vision on, the IR illuminators will reflect off the glass and you won't be able to see anything at all.

Also note that motion detection won't work through the glass so you only have the option to manually view and record