Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Failure of motion detection/recording system due to WiFi jammer?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
AlphaRomeoLimaO
Initiate
Initiate

Has anyone experienced failure of their ARLO equipment because of a WiFi signal jamming device? 

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not to my knowledge.... at least with some proof , tho some have claimed so.

There are reasons at times why the cameras can fail ... also on the other side, hardwired cameras can fail too if you know how.

Many times it has been claimed to be a wifi jammer but I fail to see the truth behind same... wifi jammers have their limits too.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
AlphaRomeoLimaO
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks. 

What are the reasons the Arlo might fail to be activated by motion? Here's what happened: 

Fully charged camera, full day light. Camera had detected exterior motion throughout morning but stopped recording for a period of 30 minutes despite arrival of suspect who was viewed at the door (where the camera was located) by several people. Camera resumed normal recording after suspect left and has been fully functional since. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The direction and speed of motion could be responsible. Motion is best detected across the FOV, not at the camera (standard PIR sensor issue). If the subject is moving slowly, there may not be enough motion to be detected. Have you increased your motion sensitivity in your modes and rules and tested to see where motion can be detected and how fast the motion has to be?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a PS..

I dislike the "record till motion stops" .  I find at times the cameras stop recording to early when they stop seeing motion and then reset time allows you to miss motion.

I always used a fixed time to eliminate the early stop.

I also use a couple of Q cameras which have pixel detection ( inside home thru glass )... these are not effected by the angle of motion.

Morse is faster than texting!
Richard995
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, I've experienced tiling and missing videos. Ever since a certain individual moved in to my apartments I've noticed this. The few times that Arlo does record it shows him hiding something in his hand.
Richard995
Aspirant
Aspirant
Jammer, I have the same problem.
Richard995
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, jammers are illegal but you can purchase them online.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Richard995 wrote:
Yes, jammers are illegal but you can purchase them online.

It's hard to know for certain that a jammer is in use - just seeing something in someone's hand isn't very strong evidence.

One aspect is that a jammer will also interfere with your home wifi.  Are you seeing any evidence of that?  If you have a PC connected with WiFi, you could use a program like pingplotter or gping to identify any outages.