Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Applegeuse
Star
Star
I had an issue the other day where I had to sign into the app over and over. Support reccomended uninstall and reinstall the app. That fixed the sign in issue... now everytime the app makes a notification I get it twice. Its plays the notification sound twice, vibrates twice, and shows 2 notifications in the pull down for one event.... I have a Samsung S8 Android.
76 REPLIES 76
abgalassi
Guide
Guide
I personally don't use any sort of Google account or backup. When forced to - like when activating phone, downloading or updating apps, I make a fake Google account like jdjfjdjhshjssj@google.com, do what I need to do, then delete that Google account from the phone. And yet I still have the double notifications that cancel each other out leaving me to only see them if I'm right on top of my phone. I had cancelled my home security system monitoring since I had Arlo, but just reinstated it since Arlo notifications are this way.
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@abgalassi wrote:
I personally don't use any sort of Google account or backup. When forced to - like when activating phone, downloading or updating apps, I make a fake Google account like jdjfjdjhshjssj@google.com, do what I need to do, then delete that Google account from the phone. And yet I still have the double notifications that cancel each other out leaving me to only see them if I'm right on top of my phone. I had cancelled my home security system monitoring since I had Arlo, but just reinstated it since Arlo notifications are this way.

Go to Back up in settings and turn off the autoback up and auto restore apps. Please look at this thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/How-To-fix-Multiple-Notifications-from-one-alert-on-Androi... and try to find the same settings and follow the instructions. your LG is on a older version of android but the settings are still there just maybe named something similar  

croland14
Aspirant
Aspirant

thank you for the link, ive tried that one and now im getting 3 alerts instead of the 2. on top of google backup there is also a check box on my lg that says " automatic restore: when reinstalling an app, restore backed up settings and data" that box is unchecked as well as doing what was in the link.

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@croland14 wrote:

thank you for the link, ive tried that one and now im getting 3 alerts instead of the 2. on top of google backup there is also a check box on my lg that says " automatic restore: when reinstalling an app, restore backed up settings and data" that box is unchecked as well as doing what was in the link.

Open google drive and delete the back up thats already there. if you read through that thread you'll figure it out. I had 6 notifications until i followed those steps. one guy had to turn off the back up and restore feature plus delete the backup in google drive. you got this

Valiente501
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure if this is still an issue for people, but my app just started doing this yesterday. I am on a Galaxy Note 8 with Oreo. I went into Settings > Apps > Arlo > Storage and cleared the cache and then cleared the app data. I signed back into the app and haven't had any issues since. May not work for everyone, but its an easier fix attempt than disabling auto-restores and what-not. Hope this helps someone.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Interesting that that method worked for you. Maybe Arlo has changed something because clearing the cache/app data or uninstalling reinstalling the app was what gave all of us the double notifications months ago. For me it was clearing app data.

Thanks for sharing, something to try first.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Not working for me.........wonder why we should’ve to do anything at all, after each app update, why why why?

altoscam
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Android 5.1.1 started doing this too after the last app update.  It looks like clearing the data/cache and then relogging in has cured the problem.  Interestingly of the 2 notifications generated for each requested alert, there were 2 different formatting of the messages relating to where the line breaks occurred.  One would be 3 lines long and one would be 2.  Perhaps this change caused the old notification setting to be regarded as different than the current one, so both went off.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

You were getting 2 notifications in the notification center? I never saw 2 notifications, I only had two sounds. One notification banner in the notification center, but two notification sounds. Months ago when this started, when the mode tab was missing in the app, to try and get it back, we were all trying the clear data/clear cache method, but that gave us the multiple notification sounds. Then we tried uninstall reinstall and that added another sound each time you did it. To fix the multiple notification sounds someone came up with the uninstall, delete backups, reinstall method and that fixed the sound problem (not sure if it cured multiple notification banners as I didn't have that problem)

So if clearing cache now fixes multiple notification sounds and/or multiple notification banners, then it appears maybe Arlo is listening and actually fixed the app (well almost). Clearing the cache before gave us multiple notification sounds, now it fixes multiple notification sounds/banners. So that is a plus, but unfortunately, the fact that you have to clear the cache manually is a fail. The install of the new version should clear the cache during install. Two steps forward and one step back.

altoscam
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was getting two notifications both sound and banner.  This behavior only started after I recently upgraded the app version, having lagged in doing so.

Nervoso
Guide
Guide
This is happening to me now as well, triple notifications, extremely annoying.
ravikrishnap
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am getting this double notifications too. what crap is this. i am frustrated. any updates if anyone got this resolved?
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ravikrishnap wrote:
I am getting this double notifications too. what crap is this. i am frustrated. any updates if anyone got this resolved?

so far everyone who went through this thread has fixed the issue, there are multiple ways so read through and try you WILL get it fixed, and no they havent got the app fixed yet as far as i know

nytech
Tutor
Tutor

Is that true? I've been following this thread for a while now and there seems to be mixed reviews about things working/not working. 

Perhaps you can point us to a tried and tested fix that works everytime (without factory resetting the phone).

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@nytech wrote:

Is that true? I've been following this thread for a while now and there seems to be mixed reviews about things working/not working. 

Perhaps you can point us to a tried and tested fix that works everytime (without factory resetting the phone).

the fix depends on the phone and android version, so the OP is for the S9 on Oreo, some people are saying you can clear the cache on the app, it all depends on the phone and android version

nytech
Tutor
Tutor

@Robalboa wrote:

@nytech wrote:

the fix depends on the phone and android version, so the OP is for the S9 on Oreo, some people are saying you can clear the cache on the app, it all depends on the phone and android version

Thats what I mean, that person was asking for help, I don't know its as cut and dry as "go look in the thread for the answer" I've read that clearing the cache on the app didn't correct it, and it added a notification. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

If your getting multiple Arlo notification sounds with just one notification............

I know this works on a Samsung S8 running Android 8.0.0 (Oreo) with Samsung Experience 9.0. I have done it twice, successful both times.

• Uninstall the Arlo app
  • Go into Android "Settings", then "Cloud and Accounts", then "Backup and restore"
  • Down on the bottom there’s a toggle that’s says "Automatic restore", toggle that off
  • Next, tap on "Google Account" (in the same menu)
  • And at the top there’s a toggle that says, "Back up to Google Drive", toggle that off
  • It will give you a warning that you are about to delete your backup, "Confirm and delete"
  • Go back to the last screen
  • If you have a Samsung phone and are using a Samsung account for backup, turn that off and delete as well
  • Reboot the Phone
  • Sign into the phone and reinstall the Arlo app
  • Launch the Arlo app, sign in, go to settings, notifications, choose your notification tone, back out and then close the Arlo app
  • Go into Android "Settings", then "Cloud and Accounts", then "Backup and restore", turn back on Automatic Restore, your Google back up, and your Samsung backup (if needed)
  • Test your Arlo notification sound, hopefully you only have one sound now
altoscam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Possibly changes have been made to the app as updates come out, which affect the way one can correct the double notification behavior.   It seems to me that the only data maintained by the app is the login token.  Everything else

is backed up by Arlo's server (which cameras, etc.) The settings for cameras aren't stored in the app.

So don't mess around with clearing cache.  Just clear all data.  Don't even bother to re-install.  That might lead to problems.  Then start it up, login, and let it repopulate the constellation of cameras on your account.  I can see no harm in trying this. It's easier than all that other stuff. It worked for me!  What I was getting was 2 full complete notifications per event, with banner message and sound.  Not after I cleared data and logged in again.

RichB89600
Tutor
Tutor
Just confirmed that Galaxy S8 w/Oreo will NOT get multiple notifications anymore with simple: clear cache; clear data and then reset your notification tone in the Arlo app settings. No app delete/ reinstall/ turn off backup, etc required anymore.
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@RichB89600 wrote:
Just confirmed that Galaxy S8 w/Oreo will NOT get multiple notifications anymore with simple: clear cache; clear data and then reset your notification tone in the Arlo app settings. No app delete/ reinstall/ turn off backup, etc required anymore.

thanks for the info, if i could edit the OP i would have all these fixes in there in order, but it wont let me edit it. Thanks

Desert_Crusties
Initiate
Initiate

Just fixed my wife’s Samsung S6 without a factory reset. She was receiving four times Arlo notifications.   Here’s how: go to settings, backup and reset, turn off automatic restore, uninstall Arlo app, reinstall Arlo app, turn automatic restore back on, then test.  Hope this works for you.

altoscam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Or, for an easier way, just clear the data on the app (which also clears the cache).  Then simply relog in to the app, and the config will be re-populated from ARLO after a short while.  The data backup is only used when the app is installed over again, so by avoiding this, the data backup is ignored.  Eventually it will be  overwritten with the correct configuration. There's no need to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Jimac1888
Initiate
Initiate
This worked for me thanks, I was up to 6 notifications using the clear data option adds another notification.

I'm on a Motorola G4 plus
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Jimac1888 wrote:
This worked for me thanks, I was up to 6 notifications using the clear data option adds another notification.

I'm on a Motorola G4 plus

Could you please be more specific........which worked for you? (Tere are a number of suggested solutions above)

o_tou_san
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using Galaxy S6 with Android N OS.  I started having the issue with the last app update.

First, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the app.  I ended up with 3 notifications for each event.

Second, I tried to clear Cache and App Data.  I ended up with 4 notifications for each event.

After skimming through this thread, I tried turning off "Automatic Restore".  Then, I uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  Afterward, I turned the Automatic Restore back on.  I now have 1 notification for each event.