Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Applegeuse
Star
Star
I had an issue the other day where I had to sign into the app over and over. Support reccomended uninstall and reinstall the app. That fixed the sign in issue... now everytime the app makes a notification I get it twice. Its plays the notification sound twice, vibrates twice, and shows 2 notifications in the pull down for one event.... I have a Samsung S8 Android.
76 REPLIES 76
nytech
Tutor
Tutor
So far the only resolution is to do a factory reset. Everytime you uninstall and reinstall, the app adds a notification.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@Speedy4ever

Try this....... posted by @JoeCymru in another post....

Believe I found a fix for this multiple notification thing. Initially when we had the mode button problem I did a uninstall and reinstall and by doing so got double notifications. If you wish to do a reinstall, uninstall the app at your phone not the Play Store. Then go to Settings>Clouds and Accounts>Back Up and Restore, and untick the app Automatic Restore. Now go to Play Store and download Arlo. When done, you can go back and turn on the automatic restore of app setting and preferences. This resolved adding additional notification sounds for each reinstallation.

jimli128
Aspirant
Aspirant

That workaround worked for me. Back to one notification.

Applegeuse
Star
Star
I tried this workaround , unfortunately did not work and added one more notification. Guess I'm still awaiting and official fix from the app devs which doesn't seem to be coming.
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No, does not work for me anymore either. With all the mess with the mode buttons and then the schedule  and proper mode, and armed indicators mess, I am back up to four repeats of the audible notifications due to uninstall reinstall of the app. Each reinstall will add an extra audible. I have set it now to vibrate and flash yellow to distinguish it from other notifications, with the tone set to Silent. Arlo is the sole app that is performing in this bizarre manner on my Android 8 device. The way I know worked once was to factory reset my phone. Not an enjoyable experience. Not at all. It is days before I finally have all the things back the way I had them. If you do perform a factory reset, make sure that you uninstall Arlo first, and turn your auto app back up off. But since I only did this once, I certainly would not give any kind of assurance this would work again.

Audible notifications are important. My carrier, phone manufacturer and Google all say it is the app, but with all the clusters bangs with updates on firmware and apps Arlo has been having, I suspect this problem is way down the list if it is indeed on the list at all.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Oh, forgot to say on the factory reset: before you do it do a manual backup with Arlo already uninstalled so it does not come back during restore. After all that, never do what I did and think there was some easier way and end up in the same position as before and having to kill the audible part of notifications before they drive you psychotic..

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I got rid of them again (multiple audible notifications) without killing my whole phone first. Some of what I did may have been superfluous and not germane to fixing this, but feel obligated to list the process here in case others are still having issues with their app on Android, when they uninstall / reinstall Arlo and may want to try it (this may also be a cause of fixes going away after an Arlo bad update to the app or firmware and people doing reinstallations of the app trying to see if there is some change only to get the bad stuff back).

Checking Step:

Settings>Cloud and Accounts> Backup and Restore>Google Account. Tap on “Google Account” to see when the last backup of app data was. Notate this.

Step 1:

1. Uninstall Arlo app from phone
  2. Settings>Cloud and Accounts> Backup and Restore. On that page there is Automatic Restore (this concerns apps). Turn that off. Do not go deeper into Google Account and turn off the entire back up to Google Drive

Step 2:

For no other reason than I was trying to cover all bases I did a backup and restore from the manufacturers cloud. In my case Samsung.

1. Settings>Cloud and Accounts> Backup and Restore. Backed up data on Samsung Cloud.
  2. Restored it.

Step 3:

Wait. Probably about four hours. You are waiting for Google to back up your app settings without Arlo present, and with instruction to restore your app settings.

Step 4:

When you check the last backup of apps on your account (as in the checking step above) and see Google has backed up those settings (with Arlo gone) after you uninstalled Arlo, reinstall Arlo.

An over abundance in caution about making sure all Arlo settings are wiped from Google and Manufacturer’s clouds. I have no clue why this worked. It just did for me.

virginiascout
Aspirant
Aspirant
You have got to be kidding. You develop the app that does not work and I have to jump through hoops to try to make it work. When will the emergency fix to the faulty app be implemented??
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey ... just a customer like you, scrambling around finding workarounds while Arlo keeps blowing up their apps wth fixes. I understand your frustration since I am living it too, but just trying to help fellow customers with tricks trying to keep the system going without going bonkers. Good news is that after two months of the wheels coming off, I am up and solid ... for now.

Applegeuse
Star
Star
Still awaiting the multiple notification fix from Arlo.... looks like I'll end up selling the Arlo system soon and getting google nest or something else that actually works. Support here seems non-existent for this topic considering months of this issue for many users and no end in sight. Very disappointed.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
Still there........multiple notifications problem is even worse now, with the additional android Arlo app updates (automatically installed). Now I’m getting four consecutive notification sounds, I guess one for each of last app updates.
Has anyone found a fix for this, without a whole lot of messing around with phone backup/restoring or resetting? How many out there are experiencing and struggling with this issue?
Jesterondirt
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just wanted to add, my wife and I both have the same phone (galaxy S8) and I recieve multiple notifications for every alert from my Arlo system and she still only receives one.
RichB89600
Tutor
Tutor

So, I tried this and it WORKS.  However, you do not need to wait the 4 hours suggested -- simply tell Google to "back up now" after you have deleted the Arlo app.

Apparently, as was suggested multiple times, the app remembers, in a private space, the notification tone selected (and won't forget it).  So, when you delete the app, and reinstall it, instead of OVERWRITING the privately-saved notification, it APPENDS the new notification to the old one.  Bad bad bad.  Especially since this hase been a problem for months!

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As further reinforcement that this is not a Google or Samsung problem, but a problem with app writers not doing their homework, I became somewhat obsessed with this and in all my research found only one other instance of this happening with another app: Microsoft Outlook for Android. 

Unlike Arlo, on the Microsoft boards there was a hue and cry about it and MS fixed it. It is fixable. However it seems the Arlo people are way too busy trying to repair all the other damages induced since May this problem has not been addressed as of yet.

So for the edification of all, if you are running Android OS (and perhaps specifically some version of 😎 avoid uninstall / reinstall or you will be forced to go through some contortions to shut up multiple notification sounds.

@RichB89600 Well your "back up now" made me feel a bit like a dummy but I certainly appeciate your kindly pointing out the obvious. Thanks.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Notifications have now stopped coming completely.......don’t know whether caused by android (8.0) or still app problem.

Anybody else experiencing this?

mastaful
Aspirant
Aspirant
Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@RichB89600 wrote:

So, I tried this and it WORKS.  However, you do not need to wait the 4 hours suggested -- simply tell Google to "back up now" after you have deleted the Arlo app.

Apparently, as was suggested multiple times, the app remembers, in a private space, the notification tone selected (and won't forget it).  So, when you delete the app, and reinstall it, instead of OVERWRITING the privately-saved notification, it APPENDS the new notification to the old one.  Bad bad bad.  Especially since this hase been a problem for months!

Where do you see back up now in the google accounts? I dont see it on Galaxy S9 plus Oreo? i see the back up toggle,   but no back up now feature?

abgalassi
Guide
Guide

I have an LG G6 and have the double notifications. Since 2 come through at once though, it doesn't play the notification sound. It tries to, but it's like the 1st one is interrupted by the 2nd one so it doesn't sound at all. (It tries to -I just have a standard notification sound that came on the phone and it plays a millisecond of it, so unless you are holdig your phone you don't know there is a notification).

I have factory reset my phone and reinstalled the app and still 2 notifications. Just adding my issue to the convo.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC wrote:

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

I figured it out but its still a app issue, here is the solution https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/How-To-fix-Multiple-Notifications-from-one-alert-on-Androi...

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JamesC Some apps have notification modification as part of the Android app field where you can modify other app settings in Android. Others get you to the changes through the app itself. Regrding notifications, Arlo has the link to notification characteristics through the Arlo app. When a reinstall occurs or an app update, in the Oreo OS, something in the Arlo app in the notification instructions is not properly deleted, and the Google back up loads any pervious back up settings (thinking that the uninstall has wiped any previous settings) which tells the app to make the notification sound (and/or vibration). But it never went away in the first place so the app now thinks it needs to make all the sounds in its file. Each and every time you uninstall and reinstall with Google remembering the settings and putting things back the way you had them it adds an extra notification. This really should be a simple code fix and compensate for the Google setting back up.

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JoeCymru wrote:

@JamesC Some apps have notification modification as part of the Android app field where you can modify other app settings in Android. Others get you to the changes through the app itself. Regrding notifications, Arlo has the link to notification characteristics through the Arlo app. When a reinstall occurs or an app update, in the Oreo OS, something in the Arlo app in the notification instructions is not properly deleted, and the Google back up loads any pervious back up settings (thinking that the uninstall has wiped any previous settings) which tells the app to make the notification sound (and/or vibration). But it never went away in the first place so the app now thinks it needs to make all the sounds in its file. Each and every time you uninstall and reinstall with Google remembering the settings and putting things back the way you had them it adds an extra notification. This really should be a simple code fix and compensate for the Google setting back up.

Verifed By Microsoft and android that instead of OVERWRITING the privately-saved notification as done in previous versions, it APPENDS the new notification to the old one. yes its a easy fix then 2 weeks of testing

croland14
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same issues as everyone else but im using an LG G4 with android 6.0. So im thinking it has nothing to do with the android OS, but everything to do with the ARLO App itself. Im only getting 2 notifications per alert so not terrible but still annoying.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Search for similar threads and follow the workaround. It's an issue caused by using Google backup which restores previous settings.

Robalboa
Apprentice
Apprentice

@croland14 wrote:

Having the same issues as everyone else but im using an LG G4 with android 6.0. So im thinking it has nothing to do with the android OS, but everything to do with the ARLO App itself. Im only getting 2 notifications per alert so not terrible but still annoying.

Try this fix https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/How-To-fix-Multiple-Notifications-from-one-alert-on-Androi...