Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

anyone using two Pro Base stations? Or any input from netgear on doing this?

I have a four camera Pro system and due to all my cameras being outside and possible range issues at moderate distance I may decide to optimize it with a second base, especially if they go on sale at some point.

A single second camera base station is actually half paid for by buying that instead of optional  charger and spare battery. If the second base is going to also give be better effective range it is better for me than the battery and charger accessories purchases.

Any issues with integrating two base stations in the client if both bases are on same lan? Yes, no, or yes but half functional??

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If they work just like the regular bases, it shouldn't be a problem...and bases don't have to be on the same network to function....only thing I can think of is if you want local record, it would have to be done on both bases...... The sync'ed cams to each base would be recorded local on that base

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks very much Tom.

I guess I should be more specific.

Triggeringof subsequent events, movement detected on one camera triggering another one, one siren event trigger both? One audio event triggering another camera?

- Doubtful unless on same base station?

Both base stations and their cameras viewable on same sign-in of client?

- ?

Any other shared or not shared features?

- ?

Are we guessing or have we got someone who has tried it so we can list out what you can and can't do? Or perhaps we can get answer from Arlo engineers if no one has tried it yet?

This may not be high on netgears list, and I get it, but for some user set-ups it certainly would be a good option to either enable full integration option on two bases or if not that some kind of extender. This might especially be helpful for users with two groups of cameras at some distance. Some users may have their cameras in a circular pattern or none to few outdoors. In my case it is two groups at some distance from each other, and all outside though brick walls, and I can see I am at the extreme edge of range. When I move base toward one pair of cameras that connection becomes robust and the other spotty, and visa versa.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Someone's gonna hafta try it but I'll wager a 6 pack that it will be as before - each base will have cameras that can't be used with rules on the other base.  Settings, My Devices shows the division as before with the base having only its cameras listed.  I have an original base as well as the new Pro and you can't use each other's cameras in any way.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, there are very few out there at this time, let alone people running two PRO bases are like hens teeth. ( most only run one base even with regular Arlo ).

So, as best I can...

Both bases and all cameras up to the max of 15 will be viewable on one account sign in based on your service level.

The main feature I believe not shared would be local record...since you can only sync cameras to one base at a time, those cameras on each base will local record to that base only

As to extenders, NG... thats why they allow more bases.  Bases are the only way to expand the Arlo range ( by overlapping or separate areas as the cameras talk ONLY to the base ).

Remember, the bases don;t have to be on the same network or location to function with the same log-in (all viewed together)

Bases can be as far away as wanted if you have an ethernet/internet access.

People with large homes can either run etherent cable to 300ft or use a different access point.

Morse is faster than texting!
Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks so much guys.

It is something to keep in mind in case they should get a nice discount on black friday.

throwaway-bye
Aspirant
Aspirant

Think like this BS is boss of cameras.

Two BS outdoor and indoors. Each has 4 cameras.

1. Separate Armed/disarm rules for each base station.

2. Not cross basestation rules. Motion trigger on a camera on outdoor BS cannot start recording on Indoor BS camera.

3. No cross local recording. 4 outdoor camera will record to USB disk plugged into outdoor BS same for indoor cameras.

4. Only client you will see 2 sirens and 8 cameras.

GeneralToner
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased and installed three of the four packs with base stations so I have a base in basement, main floor and upstairs of house linked to cameras built into 'zones' based on base unit.

I am able to create modes or rules across all cameras on the same base, however I cannot create a mode that crosses base units.  If there is a step by step process somebody thinks will work I can test that out.  For me, the three stations work well for zones that can with cameras in any location linked to the appropriate zone (some are always on motion/base alarm while others are not).

Very neat system, would like to see some zoning within the image so that bottom section of image can be ignored for motion (thinking pets).

Note, the three bases work perfectly within the apps on both android (phones/tablet) and IOS 10.1 (various ipads and iphones).  This was such a simple set-up and the ipad app walked me through every step (not difficult after you add one camera).  I think I could ship one of these to my mother and she would set-up without a call to me.

Hope that helps, if not please post and I'll try suggestions.

GT