Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does The Base Station Have To Be Hard Wired To My Router?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
solly316
Aspirant
Aspirant

Two questions before I buy: 1. does the base have to be hard wired connected to the router? why can't it simply connect via wifi like everything else? 2. where is the ideal location for the base? i want the alarm in the living room since it makes the most sense but this hard wired thing has me confused. thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yes, the base needs an ethernet connection. If you want to put the base station remote from your router, you can use a wireless range extender with an ethernet port. Obviously this is likely to introduce minor lag.

The most ideal position for the base station is the most central point between all of the cameras. The siren is extremely loud and piercing so does not necessarily have to go in a room where people will be

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yes, the base needs an ethernet connection. If you want to put the base station remote from your router, you can use a wireless range extender with an ethernet port. Obviously this is likely to introduce minor lag.

The most ideal position for the base station is the most central point between all of the cameras. The siren is extremely loud and piercing so does not necessarily have to go in a room where people will be

solly316
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks so much. my router is buried in a closet and that location is not ideal. i'll have to hire a contractor to run the line under my house to the location i want it or buy this extender you're refrring to, correct? 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yep. The base station needs power and an ethernet connection with internet access. Those would be the ways to do it remote to your router