Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Do I need a base station for Q and Pro cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
andrebouchard
Aspirant
Aspirant

i am looking to add a mix of Arlo Pro and Arlo Q cameras to my house. Do I need to also buy a base station for the cameras to work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only for the Pro cameras. The Q essentially has a base built in.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only for the Pro cameras. The Q essentially has a base built in.

andrebouchard
Aspirant
Aspirant

thank you. Will the base station WiFi network interfere with my home WiFi network? can i just add the Arlo cameras to my existing WiFi network? if not, why does it need the base station? Per specs, the base station WiFi is 300 ft line of sight, so how will that work if i add cameras to the second story part of my home? do i need to get a second base station?

thanks

Andre

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

The Arlo Base station should not be placed directly next to your existing router because it is possible there could be interference. However, I have mine about 2 feet from my router without issue.  The wifi works similarly to your regular router wifi, but is a special low power wifi designed to maximize the camera battery.  You shouldn't need a second base, but depending on construction materials in your home it is possible.  How well does your regular wifi work upstairs? You can NOT add your arlo/arlo pro cameras to your existing router. They must connect to thier base due to the special low power mode.  The easiest way to answer these questions is to go pickup one and try it out.  If it doesn't work as expected or you determine it doesn't suit your needs, you can always return it.  

andrebouchard
Aspirant
Aspirant

thank you. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Fwiw, my base is about 6 inches from my high-powered router with no issues. I've always just plugged it in and let it do its thing.