Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Rashad99
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi everybody

I would like to know if someone would cut electric power to my house will my house be completely vunerable? Will i get any protection or recordings by camera? And if not is there any way to prevent this?
The reason I am asking is electric power to my house is very easy to reach and there is pretty much no one around to see if someone intend to do

Thank you
13 REPLIES 13
brh
Master
Master

@Rashad99

Yes, that would be a big problem. Firstly, your internet would be out so there would be no recordings to the cloud or control signals for the cameras to operate. Secondly, the base station has no battery backup so it would no longer work.

As far as work arounds the only thing I can think of is to plug your router and Arlo Base station into a UPS with as big a battery you can get, but still they will only supply power for a few hours.

Brian

Rashad99
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for your reply Brian
Another question is if Arlo cant do it then do you know any product thats able to work while electricity gone?
I would be so happy if they bring battery to base station as well like camera itself in next generations . Other than that I can plug usb to prevent stopping recordings while electricity is gone

Thanks
brh
Master
Master

@Rashad99

Someone else might have a better answer, but just about all electronic devices, even the cameras that record locally, need some sort of backup power if the primary power source is lost.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Even a modest UPS shoud last several hours. In addition to the router and base, be sure to also plug in the modem so the network is always up. I use a 750VA UPS and, based on my measurement of power consumption using a Kill-A-Watt meter, it may last 15 hours or more. I'm not going to test that long but I'm confident it will last for the duration of most outages.  If you're really concerned, it's just cubic $$$ to find a larger capacity UPS.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

wrote:
Hi everybody

I would like to know if someone would cut electric power to my house will my house be completely vunerable? Will i get any protection or recordings by camera? And if not is there any way to prevent this?
The reason I am asking is electric power to my house is very easy to reach and there is pretty much no one around to see if someone intend to do

Thank you

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking but if someone went through the trouble of cutting power to your house, I would assume that is to break in.

If they break in, I would also assume they would take all cameras, computer, router, ups backup, electronics etc. so it wouldn't really matter if you had cameras

CaptC
Star
Star

I wouldn't assume they would take everything you listed. And if they did Arlo would put recordings in the cloud (a Plus) for later retrieval. a backup power source (like a UPS) is all that is needed.  If this is not good enough to let one rest at night then you need professional security/home monitoring etc.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

wrote:

I wouldn't assume they would take everything you listed. And if they did Arlo would put recordings in the cloud (a Plus) for later retrieval. a backup power source (like a UPS) is all that is needed.  If this is not good enough to let one rest at night then you need professional security/home monitoring etc.

If they go through the trouble of cutting the power, then I would assume they are professionals and yes I would assume that they would be smart enough to take all the electronics that would or could record anything of the event.

You mention a UPS but tell me how that enables the recorded video to upload to the cloud when the internet is out (no router or modem).

If they are that concerned about being vulnerable, maybe a couple of dogs is the best backup. (lol)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The UPS enables Internet access when power is cut. It obviously doesn't help with Internet loss. If you're that paranoid, use a router that supports a backup 3/4G cell service connection.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@jguerdatwrote:

The UPS enables Internet access when power is cut. It obviously doesn't help with Internet loss. If you're that paranoid, use a router that supports a backup 3/4G cell service connection.

So the Router, Modem and Arlo Base would all need to be connected to UPS in order for the video to go to cloud correct? That's assuming they didn't cut the internet cable which would seem much easier to do than cutting the power.

Again though, if someone goes through the trouble of cutting power, the internet would probably be cut also.

I agree, that's being extremely paranoid though.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup, all 3 network devices have to be on the UPS. That's how I have it set up.

TBWilliams62
Aspirant
Aspirant
That is a concern we all have. The only solutions I found was to place a camera in that area. At least you may see the perpetrator before the power is cut.
Other options may be to run the routers on a battery backup device.
I hope this helps.
Troy~
abgalassi
Guide
Guide

Ditto to his setup. We have lost power for up to 3 hours at a time, but with the base and my router plugged into the UPS, all was still well. The company I work for uses APC UPS', so that's the brand I got - from Amazon.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Some folks have modem-routers but for those who have separate modems be sure to also plug the modem into the UPS.