Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
caroldixit
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am considering buying an Arlo Pro (over Nest Outdoor).  Reviewed the various threads on this topic but could not get definitive answers.  Apologies for asking the same question again.

The issue:  I need two outdoor cameras (front door and porch) for my vacation home.  Since I will be away for months at a time, rechargeable battery is not an option.  I need the outdoor cameras to have continous AC-supplied power.  

AC power source will be inside the house for front-door camera and porch camera can draw power from an outdoor outlet.

Questions:

1. What is the easiest way I can get the front door and porch outdoor cameras connected to AC power?

2. I understand that the 2-camera buying option (Arlo Pro Smart Security System with 2 Cameras VMS4230) comes with one camera AC Power adapter and one power adapter cable. The cable does not appear to be long enough (based on images I see on Arlo website).  Again, I need two and not one.  Can somebody point me to AC Power Adapter and at least a * * 15 foot long * * USB cable that I can buy from say Amazon?

3. Has anybody used Arlo Pro with continuous AC supplies power?  Any inputs or tips that you can provide will be much appreciated.

PS:  I doubt if I can handle the installation myself and plan to get an electrician to help me.

Thanks to the forum members in advance.

Carol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Pro cameras would be the best choice but the power supply is not rated for outdoor. You could get creative and plug in indoors and run the USB cable through a window or other opening but you'd still have to seal the power connection on the camera. Probably not hard to do but something to be thought of. You can use any GOOD quality cable since they use a heavier gauge wire in them, unlike cheap ones (ask how I found out).

Folks are running the cameras off AC with no issues. You can leave the battery in so loss of power leaves the camera capable of recording but don't forget to use a UPS/battery backup on your modem, router and base station. However, the battery requires the Arlo charger since it provides dual voltages - 9v for charging and 5v for running the camera. You'd have to purchase a second supply to make it worthwhile.

Be aware that using it this way would likely void your warranty since it's up to you to seal the power connection.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Pro cameras would be the best choice but the power supply is not rated for outdoor. You could get creative and plug in indoors and run the USB cable through a window or other opening but you'd still have to seal the power connection on the camera. Probably not hard to do but something to be thought of. You can use any GOOD quality cable since they use a heavier gauge wire in them, unlike cheap ones (ask how I found out).

Folks are running the cameras off AC with no issues. You can leave the battery in so loss of power leaves the camera capable of recording but don't forget to use a UPS/battery backup on your modem, router and base station. However, the battery requires the Arlo charger since it provides dual voltages - 9v for charging and 5v for running the camera. You'd have to purchase a second supply to make it worthwhile.

Be aware that using it this way would likely void your warranty since it's up to you to seal the power connection.
caroldixit
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you!

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

I also plan to run the power cable through my garage vent hole and to the camera which luckily is under the eve of my house. I ordered a 15 foot micro USB cable on Amazon to do this. As for protecting the mico USB connection on the camera from rain, I just plain to put a little bit of removable sealant around the hole.

My cable arrives this weekend so I'll post an update after I do it. As for the camera on my porch area, I'll live with the battery power until the new solar panal is available in a few months.

RichR
Star
Star

@Drake3287 You forgot about the update 🙂

dinhnho1970
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi
I heard a lot about in order to maximise a rechargeable battery life, we should use the battery until it is nearly flat then recharge it and keep on with this cycle.
If I use the arlo pro with its battery installed and also plug in it's power adapter at the same time (permanently) so I don't have to ever think about taking the camera down to recharge, would this shorten the life of the installed battery?
Regards
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No. Using the power supply with the battery in the camera actually only charges the battery to 80%, preserving the battery life.
Leon71
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where can I buy the extra camera USB AC power plugs? I can't seem to find these specific adapters anywhere...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You can't buy the Netgear ones without buying a battery, too. However, a quality charger that supports Qualcomm Quick Charge with 5v and 9v can be used. Just don't use a cheap one since such use could cause a warranty​issue.