Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Booth8822
Tutor
Tutor
Looking into purchasing the Arlo Pro, question is can you connect an external video monitor to the base station, as well as a local backup. Assuming there would have to be atleast (2) USB ports. Any guidance would be appreciated
4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are two USB ports but they're only usedfor USB drives for backup recordings. The only way to access live view or recordings is through either the app or the web interface. You could cast your computer or phone to a TV or even use a smart TV's browser (no Flash so no live view for this) to monitor.

Booth8822
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks so much for ths info.  I'm not sure if you are an arlo customer or rep of the company, so understand my next question and senario. We have a camera, security system presently, but cannot add on or view from more than one source/video.  It protects and allows us to view around our home and my shop (same location).  When I am in the shop (alot), I cannot see or view any cameras, so was looking for a system, to add 2-3 cameras and keep the base unit in the shop so I can see the yard, area and if anyone approaches.  Needless to say I don't want to be staring at my phone or tablet constantly.  Are you aware of a system, totally wireless that will allow a video monitor to connect to the base?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Superusers are just users like almost everyone here.

I have no experience with other systems that may give you this feature but I suspect you're looking at a wired system, maybe using IP cameras. Arlo is designed to be cloud- and motion-based and use the interface to check on things rather than to constantly stream. A Q, Pro or Ultra camera that's AC-powered, using the CVR subscription, could be useful but I would guess that's not really what you're after.

Booth8822
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain things to me.  I really don't want any wired system.  The one we have now, the camera signal is wireless but wired for power to the camera.  I may have to look into a "true" security system, not an Iphone/Droid/Cloud program.  Again, Thanks, Steve