Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
halo42
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's time to charge my three in door cameras and when I plug them in to any outlet, using the provided arlo cable and ac adapter, I get a blinking orange light and a charging fault notification

"The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use the power adapter designed for your camera."

So I have taken the batteries out and put them back in

Tried plugging the ac adapter in to many different outlets

Restarted the base station multiple times

Nothings seems to help

I've read though other posts and I know it's not moisture.

Is this the same message you will receive if your batteries are dying and can't be charged?

Any suggestions?

HW Version H7
Firmware 1.092.0.19_26228
11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Unsure re the messg, but as long as your sure the original ac adapter/cord are used...

If the battery pack was drained to low, then plug in the adapter to the camera, wait till fault comes, pull battery and wait ten mins...  put it back in and recharge ...do this 6x.

If the messg still occurs, contact Arlo support.

( when battery gets to low, it needs a min voltage to allow the charging process to start )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
halo42
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's the original cable and adapter for sure - it's in a bag with an index card I use to keep tack of the last time I charged the cameras. Picture can be provided 🙂

One camera battery is at 25% and the other two are 35%. I wouldn't think that's a low charge situation.

I will try the 6x battery removal process

Thanks for the reply

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible that the charger or cord is damaged. You can try a different cable, assuming it fits in the camera hole ok but I'd wager it's the charger itself. If you happen to have a charger from a recent phone, such as a Samsung, that uses a Qualcomm Quick Charge charger that supplies both 5v and 9v outputs, I would try that first.

Once you determine the problem, you can open a case with support for a warranty claim:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

daviddewey
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm getting the same charging fault error on a brand hew system.  "Incompatible charger has been detected".  This is a brand new cable.  I tried another cable, but same error msg.  I'm also getting the failure msg on two separate cameras from the kit.  I've tried multiple cables, cameras, connectivity options, and still failure to charge the units.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And the charger itself?

daviddewey
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, that explains it.  I used two different USB adapters to test my setup.  I assumed the unit in the package was just another adapter.  I have a drawer full of USB adapters.   It might be worth adding a label marking it as a charger.  Thanks for the assistance.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any of the Pro cameras require a Qualcomm Quick Charge-capable charger that supplies both 5v and 9v outputs. 5v will run the camera, 9v is needed to charge.

NeilPeterson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue.  I tried both of my cameras and have used two different cords, and I have used the charger that came with the Arlo Pro systems and still get the error.   This is the first time I have experienced this issue.  I've reset the base station, let it reboot, and still go the error message.  I unplugged my base station for 3 minutes, plugged it in, and still have the error.  I've swapped batteries within the cameras and still have the error.  I currently have no way to charge my cameras because of this.  I would be curious to hear what you find out.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base has nothing to do with this - it's the connection between the charger and camera. You can try using a different charger from a recent phone, such as a Samsung, that support the Qualcomm Quick charge capability with outputs of both 5v and 9v.

NeilPeterson
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is it common for the adapters to just stop working? It only gets used for charging the cameras so it gets very little use. I have no other chargers that have the same specs. I just plugged the arlo netgear charger into my phone and it worked for that.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd say that chargers are a commodity item that will experience failures at any time. They're inexpensive and produced by the millions (billions?) yearly. It sucks when it's your charger but the failure rate is likely very small, regardless of where you got it. I just had to get a new charger for my ~6 month old Pixel 3 XL.

You do have a warranty and opening a case with support can get you a new one but will take time. Or you can look at the accessories for the Pro camera and order a new indoor charger for $15. A search on Amazon will produce many items that will work. The charger needs to be a Qualcomm Quick Charge-capable one that provides 5v and 9v outputs. You can also buy one locally.

Here's the link for opening a case:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx