Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can you overcharge Arlo Pro batteries (i.e. - continuous charging via AC outlet while using camera)?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
mccarthgrp
Tutor
Tutor

Can you overcharge Arlo Pro batteries (i.e. continuous charging via charger to AC outlet while using armed camera)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No. If the battery is installed while running the camera off the charger, the battery only charges to 80%. This protects the battery and keeps the battery in its preferred charge level (lithium ion batteries like to stay between 40% and 80%).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No. If the battery is installed while running the camera off the charger, the battery only charges to 80%. This protects the battery and keeps the battery in its preferred charge level (lithium ion batteries like to stay between 40% and 80%).
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/laptop-battery-overcharged.htm

No need for me to rewrite the article. Has anyone talked to NG or researched whether the battery has a circuit to prevent overcharging when using the solar or tethered AC options? Not only is explosion a risk but on a less serious scale so is damage to the battery as the life can be shortened. If any of you are familar with Thinkpad Notebooks they have special software to not charge the battery when its plugged into AC. The sole purpose of this is to not overcharge the battery. LION batteries are best stored at 50% based on my past study of the Thinkpad implementation. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you searched the threads here you'd find multiple ones relating how the chargers attached to the cameras only charge the batteries to 80% (it's shown as 100% in the interface) to protect the battery and camera.  The only way to charge to a true 100% is to use the external battery charging station.