Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can’t connect to WiFi extender

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Mbraund9881
Guide
Guide
I have set up my base station while plugged into my home router. I realized I needed to put my base at a more central location and already have a WiFi extender in the garage with an Ethernet port. I connected my base to the WiFi extender using an Ethernet cord. All the lights are green. I went to the app to find the base and connect it to my account and it cannot find it. My WiFi extender has a different name than my home internet, I don’t know if that’s matters. Home internet is set up as Braund. And wifi extender is set up as Braund-plus. Help!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

You do not need to find and set up the base again.

Once plugged into your extender just open your app and continue using as normal.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Streak2
Master Master
Master

You do not need to find and set up the base again.

Once plugged into your extender just open your app and continue using as normal.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Try and use "Braund-plus" on your Wifi since you connected your Base there..

Mbraund9881
Guide
Guide
I will try this when I get back home. I tried it briefly but it said that the home base was offline. Maybe I didn’t let it sit long enough before I disconnected and tried to add it back to my account.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Try adding your base from LTE rather than WiFi also.  That will bring you in from outside.

Does your extender use the router as the DHCP server?  If so, I would think you should be able to see the base station and cameras in your app when you are on your home network, no matter which Wi-Fi SSID (or Ethernet port) you are using.

Mbraund9881
Guide
Guide
I did connect my phone to Braund plus and it didn’t seem to matter. I am going to try and set it up with my home router and just move it without “deleting and re-adding” to my account.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Mbraund9881 wrote:
I will try this when I get back home. I tried it briefly but it said that the home base was offline. Maybe I didn’t let it sit long enough before I disconnected and tried to add it back to my account.

If you just physically moved the base and did not “remove” devices from your account before you moved the base, it should not need to be added back to your account.

Mbraund9881
Guide
Guide
Bingo. That’s what I’m going to do when I get home. My phone recognizes it as two completely different wireless points though. So I wasn’t sure that would solve my problem.
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Try and re-start your modem/router also

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Lets not overcomplicate this.

Please read my initial reply in post 2 above.

Once you have your base set up you can move it anywhere in the world as long as it's connected to the internet.

Likewise you can access it from anywhere in the world provided you have internet access.

The name of your router or wifi SSID has nothing to do with it.

As you mentioned, when you moved the base to the extender you may not have waited long enough for it to power up fully and thus got the message.

If it's still not working then we can look at other fault finding steps.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Mbraund9881 wrote:
Bingo. That’s what I’m going to do when I get home. My phone recognizes it as two completely different wireless points though. So I wasn’t sure that would solve my problem.

I don’t think the WiFi SSID difference matters, since the cameras all connect to the base using the unique base station SSID and the base station connects to your network via a cable connection to your router (network).  I suspect it might matter that everything in your house is on the same TCP-IP subnet...one DHCP server for your entire house.  

Mbraund9881
Guide
Guide

You were right! I brought it back into my house and it wouldn't connect there either. I held the reset button until the lights turned orange and then tried connecting again in my house. It did connect after it was reset. I took it out to the garage and connected it to Braund-plus WITHOUT removing the base and worked just fine. I didn't let it sit long enough the first time. Thanks everyone!!!!