Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
tomtiger
Guide
Guide

Can an Arlo Base Station connect to the internet without a router? We want to switch to wireless internet and get rid of Spectrum, must Arlo be plugged into the back of a router to work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tomtiger
Guide
Guide

Yes, you nailed it.  Just got off phone with another t-mobile rep. and they confirmed the back of their box does have an ethernet port, which will allow me to plug into.  Hopefully, everything else runs smoothly with their wireless internet, haha. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not specifically to a router but to some device that has Internet access and an Ethernet port. In your case, a WiFi extender would be the answer. The extender connects to your WiFi and you would plug the base into that extender.

tomtiger
Guide
Guide

Thank you very much!  Here is our situation.  T-Mobile is offering Wireless Home Internet in our area now, and we have been  t-mobile phone customers for 15 years.  The representative said I would receive a box, but did not know whether our home security would connect?  I will have to find out if their box has any ethernet ports on the back to plug Arlo into; otherwise, an extender is necessary to plug into the t-mobile box, which Arlo then plugs into....correct?  I am not familar with extenders.  Will call t-mobile back about their box....thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Correct. If the T-Mobile hotspot has no Ethernet, then your only choice is to use the WiFi extender.

tomtiger
Guide
Guide

Yes, you nailed it.  Just got off phone with another t-mobile rep. and they confirmed the back of their box does have an ethernet port, which will allow me to plug into.  Hopefully, everything else runs smoothly with their wireless internet, haha.