Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
equalme
Follower
Follower

Since the Arlo Pro can now be connected to a wired power source, can it do live stream 24/7 like the Arlo Q?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Unless things have changed, SW was limited to 30 mins live to preserve batteries if forgotten on

As to recording while live viewing...thats a first!   If you go live view you'll see the (if prev armed ) running man go off to gray ( motion turned off) ... the LIVE view has always overuled the armed function

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope.  I suppose firmware/software could provide the intelligence to know if the camera is powered or on battery but that doesn't exist now.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

I have my driveway Arlo Pro camera hard wired to power and I've had no problem keeping a long feed live feed going. I've never attempted to keep it on 24/7 but unless the camera times out, I'm not sure why this wouldn't work. My camera will still record an activation even if I have it on live stream.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Unless things have changed, SW was limited to 30 mins live to preserve batteries if forgotten on

As to recording while live viewing...thats a first!   If you go live view you'll see the (if prev armed ) running man go off to gray ( motion turned off) ... the LIVE view has always overuled the armed function

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have one camera on mains but it times out after live view for 10 minutes. The camera recognizes that it is plugged into the mains as it displays a lightning bolt, so I don't understand why the camera times out after 10 minutes. It should be able to turn off the timer, maybe someone can tell me why it does not!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Nature of the beast, by design, etc. The Q cameras will keep going but not the battery-powered wireless ones.
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The cameras I have know when they are connected to the mains by displaying an electrical flash icon in the display so I see no reason why other than firmware or software that it could not operate 24/7.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

The longest I have been able to keep my cameras live powered by mainshas been 30 minutes.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well it looks like I will be selling my 4-camera system with extras as live view is a very important feature for pensioners. I like the system and it has many great features but without the ability to live view for hours at a time it is useless to me. When I hear something outside I would like to be able to see what is happening right away. As it is it takes too long to get the smartphone out then get the app working and then fire up live view and wait for the time lag, whatever happened outside bythis time has gone.

JayWHH
Aspirant
Aspirant
@TomMac so when are you guys updating it to allow 24/7 live viewing and don't go the bs route of battery saving, your arlo baby cams do it too
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Tom is a user, just like you and me.

The Baby is powered and has a battery to help it be mobile if needed. Totally different.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

JayWHH wrote:
@TomMac so when are you guys updating it to allow 24/7 live viewing and don't go the bs route of battery saving, your arlo baby cams do it too

You would have to ask Netgear that directly... it's above my paid grade of tee-shirts  🙂

JayWHH
Aspirant
Aspirant
thx @TomMac.

too bad netgear is too busy creating stuff that no one is asking for instead of fixing/enhancing their current products. sigh, really wanted to like Arlo
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

There are discussions on this topic within the Arlo Idea Exchange. The Arlo development team routinely reviews these posts for ideas on how to improve and introduce new features to the Arlo system.

I encourage you to visit these discussions and offer your support by adding Kudos.

Thank you for your contribution,

JamesC