Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
OMB54
Tutor
Tutor

Ever since the latest firmware update and Arlo’s End of Life (EOL) notification of several of their Pro and Essential devices, I have been unable to charge my Pro 2 and Pro 3 cameras. The only way I can get them to function is to remove the battery and charge it outside the camera in a separate Arlo charger. I have 7 cameras and it is happening to 6 of them. Included in the seven are two Pro Floodlights with solar panels-only 1 will charge…this maybe a separate issue, IDK.

The fact that all five of my other cameras suddenly stopped having the ability to charge cannot be a fluke. It is purposeful planned obsolescence and a flagrant attempt by Arlo to force us to purchase their new products.

I have owned Arlo camera for years so I know how to troubleshoot them. Nothing works, except removing and charging batteries separately. I also contacted Arlo Support on the phone, waited on hold forever, then got a customer support guy in India or Pakistan who had some difficulties with English and offered me worthless technical help.

My advice to everyone is to NOT buy Arlo cameras. I have several indoor KASA cameras which work much faster and have better quality recordings (and cheaper!) than Arlo. I will be switching all my Arlo cameras out ASAP.  I am really pissed that Arlo is treating its long time customers this way. I think their actions border on fraud. #Pro2 #Pro3 #Essential #floodlight #Fraud #Accessory #Battery

30 REPLIES 30
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Davo007 wrote:

It's worth noting that the last time I charged all three Arlo Pro cameras was six months ago, and there were no issues at that time. The simultaneous occurrence of the problem across all three cameras is what raises suspicion about the likelihood of it being solely a hardware fault, as mentioned in my previous message.

FWIW, my own Pro 2 cameras are charging and working properly.  I can fire up a Pro and check that - but that might not matter to you, since I do have a subscription.

I agree that a hardware fault won't suddenly appear with three cameras at the same time.  

I am wondering if you are only trying one charger?  Note some of the older cameras require QuickCharge, and won't charge up on regular USB chargers.

I don't think it is likely that anything intentional is going on here.  It is easy to work around the charging issue, as you can purchase a stand-alone charging station the batteries - either from Arlo, or third party.  (Third-party are cheaper, but there are several folks who've posted issues when trying them).

Also, the Pro 2 cameras don't reach EoL until 1 Januwary 2025, so still 9 months away.

Davo007
Guide
Guide

Thanks for your response.

I have 3 Arlo Pro Camera's inside the house.
I have 1 Arlo Pro 2 Camera outside connected to a 2nd charger continuously.

I had been using the same charger and cable to charge those Arlo Pro cameras for 6 years with no issues. Then a few weeks ago all 3 stopped charging. The LED flashes amber not blue.

Initially I thought it may be the cable so I purchased another cable, but that made difference.
I took that cable and put it on the 2nd outside charger, the Arlo Pro 2 camera LED flashed blue while the Arlo Pro camera still flashed amber.
So, to answer your question, yes I have used multiple chargers and multiple cables on both Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras. 
This recent and sudden issue appears to be very much to do with Arlo Pro cameras.

While I agree that there are workarounds like standalone charging stations, it's disappointing that such measures become necessary when the products should ideally continue to function as intended. It's a reminder of the importance of considering longevity and support when investing in technology products.

Tomadec
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here, 3 stopped working at once. Same feeling. Unacceptable behaviour. Just bought 3 new cameras,  that work. My old 3 stopped.

Davo007
Guide
Guide

After Arlo ignored my posts and concerns I took action by posting the following review regarding Arlo.
Beware of Arlo's Planned Obsolescence

ih8rust
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is how you get your customers to never purchase anything that comes from Arlo and its related products 

last recharge was oct 2023 and now I can’t recharge any of my 5 Arlos 

arlo try’d to force there customers to purchase the cloud system and turn back because the where going to end up in court now there adjusting the software to get back to us 

Never again 

ih8rust
Aspirant
Aspirant

I stand corrected I am getting older …….and forgot that I have the original Arlo charger and it is working, all back to normal here