Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Bobo215
Aspirant
Aspirant
My Arlo pro camera keeps sending push notifications saying it detects motion but when I look on the camera I don't see anybody I try just in the motion sensor and it still does the same thing does it need a firmware update or can my cameras just be defective
20 REPLIES 20
sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this same issue.   I believe my issue is due to very small flying bugs (gnats) flying in front of the lens.    I also think some car's headlights or reflections may be causing it at night.

I know this isnt a solution - but wanted to give you my insight into what may be causing the motion false positives.

Bobo215
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah I'm not sure what it is it seems like the problem started when I upgraded from the regular Arlo camera to the pro my camera it's in the backyard is still a normal Arlo camera and it works fine I'm not sure of is something going on with my bro should I take it back or what But those push notifications are Surely driving me insane
sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have learned to live with it by turning down the sensitivity as low as I can without missing true motion.   But I do hope they can make some improvements to Motion detection in future firmware updates.

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
Let me guess there a minute apart after viewing live or a real notification followed by 4 false ones a minute apart?

There seems to be a bug many topics in regards to this issue can be found in this forum.... Dont know how Netgear is going to handle this but calling them is a start good luck
sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trucha wrote:
Let me guess there a minute apart after viewing live or a real notification followed by 4 false ones a minute apart?

There seems to be a bug many topics in regards to this issue can be found in this forum.... Dont know how Netgear is going to handle this but calling them is a start good luck

YEP! You are correct!  This is exactly what happens.   I sure hope they can fix this with new firmware but I will call them to see what they say.

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
James C seems to be the only person here on the forum that can "Escalate" this to proper Netgear staff for a fix let's see if he responds to this thread. BTW where did you buy your system?
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I'd open up a case with Netgear to track your issue.  doesn't hurt..... 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

^ +1

I had two cameras doing this.  Replacements fixed it.  The only way to replace them is to open a case.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those in this thread seeing this behavior, do you notice any consistencies when this happens? (always at night, snowing, always on outside cameras, always on all cameras etc.)? Consider temporarily relocating the camera (ideally inside in a fairly controlled environment), do you still see the same behavior?

If you already have a case open on this, please private message me with your case information (email/case number). I am collecting and escalating this information to engineering.

JamesC

Bobo215
Aspirant
Aspirant
I got my system from Best Buy
Bobo215
Aspirant
Aspirant
James from 12 AM last night to 7 AM this morning I had 366 notifications from 7 AM to 6 PM I only had 12 that was when people actually were at my door from 6 PM to the present time which is 6:30 PM I have currently had 15 messages with Mobiley at the door am I puttin from 6 PM to the present time which is 6:30 PM I have currently 20 notifications which none of them had a video of anyone at the door It looks like the problem happens. Mainly at night I did bring in the house for a little to charge it and it went off a few times but it wasn't as frequent
Bobo215
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry for the spelling
lwhitty
Tutor
Tutor

I had this same issue with 2 cameras after moving them. Only happens in night mode. I power cycled the base unit, and an hour has passed. So far, no new false recordings.

sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also purchased my 4 Pro Camera system from Best (which I think is currently an exclusive for Best Buy it seems).   As soon as I got it installed, they updated immediately to the latest firmware 1.090.0.0_9945.

All 4 of my Pro cameras are mounted outdoors on my house at the same height.   Only 1 of these cameras is exhibiting this behavior noted in this thread.

To clarify my issue, besides the camera recording when no one is there (which is only at night time by the way), I also notice that I get 1 or 2 extra recordings when I "live" view the camera or it records true motion.  

I will send a PM to JamesC since he offered to help escalate my ticket/case.   I am pretty sure this camera is defective since my other outdoor cameras are not experiencing this issue.

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here I exchanged my "4 false notifications after live view" camera with a new one and ohhhhh boy piece of mind. I exchanged it at local BB.

Also note after a real notification I would get 4 false a minute apart.

James C seems to escalate this to appropriate Netgear engineer for a fix so reach out to him
sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trucha wrote:
Same here I exchanged my "4 false notifications after live view" camera with a new one and ohhhhh boy piece of mind. I exchanged it at local BB.

Also note after a real notification I would get 4 false a minute apart.

James C seems to escalate this to appropriate Netgear engineer for a fix so reach out to him

Thanks Trucha - I didnt think of returning just one of the cameras to Best Buy because I bought this as a 4 Pack System.   Did you buy a single camera at Best Buy which is why they let you swap it out or did you buy the 4 Camera System?    I did send a PM to JamesC so he has the additional info along with my open case # too.    I am glad to hear your issue has been addressed.

Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes I did buy an additional camera and will be returning my affected camera. James has my case number and I wouldn't hesitate exchanging your system for piece of mind..... for the first week or so my protection mode would kick in and let's just say 2 in the AM was not a great experience after a few "false notifications " had my heart racing and full bore protection mode for something deemed false
sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trucha wrote:
Yes I did buy an additional camera and will be returning my affected camera. James has my case number and I wouldn't hesitate exchanging your system for piece of mind..... for the first week or so my protection mode would kick in and let's just say 2 in the AM was not a great experience after a few "false notifications " had my heart racing and full bore protection mode for something deemed false

OK thanks for the info.   I was thinking of getting a 5th camera (single add-on) and swapping it out at Best Buy if the new replacement solves the issue.  But then I was worried that Best Buy would notice the different serial number from original purchase.

reynoldswrap0
Star
Star

I don't think Best Buy recognizes any of these as anything other than a SKU.  Buy the add-on so you can return with the bad camera. The only way you can find the SN on your camera is by using the app and viewing device info anyhow.

sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

reynoldswrap0 wrote:

I don't think Best Buy recognizes any of these as anything other than a SKU.  Buy the add-on so you can return with the bad camera. The only way you can find the SN on your camera is by using the app and viewing device info anyhow.

OK thanks for the info!